Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Knowles2

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Knowles2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Nice explosions.
So the Daranir and the UTC are in full retreat. So either we are coming to the end of the chapter or the Daranir/ UTC have a back up plan. Sadly I think we are coming to the end of the chapter. :(

I know exactly why they do not do ship to ship communications, in case there someone like Whisper on the other end of that communications channel, and we know how she likes to play with new computer systems. :lol: If I was a ship commander I would not be to happy in taking part in ship to ship communications.
Last edited by Knowles2 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charles

Post by charles » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Whatever the Souri are hitting them with... IT HURTS!

I wonder if the Souri will give chase... Probably just keep firing until they're out of range.

Can't imagine the Helikaon will be retreating with the damaged thrusters the Scarborough gave it... I wonder what nasty surprises the Cirins might have in store for them... Probably just a trial for the destruction of the Prospero and murder of it's crew.

Not sure what to think aout the ship-to-ship communications... But if the Souri collective ignore the conventions about projectile weapons, maybe they ignore the ones about Artificial Intelligence and have far greater advances in that field as well... An A.I. controlled ship?
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

SoulWager

Post by SoulWager » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 am

allikat wrote:Rail gun projectile shrapnel would likely be below the maximum size that normal ship armour is designed to cope with. Remembering that every ship has to cope with dust at anything up to relativistic velocities, as well as space debris of all kinds.
Noting that a ship may be moving at significant velocities, any impact with fast moving space debris could well be disastrous without armour. So even civilian ships will have enough plating on the hull to ward off all but the largest debris, and hope to have scanners sufficient to detect anything that is big enough to be dangerous.
Another point: Projectiles designed to fragment are massively more efficient at transferring their kinetic energy to the target, a fine thing in space combat. A small projectile at near light speed may well punch through a corridor's worth of rooms and out the other side, but if it shatters on impact, it could very well take out several decks.
Unlikely, the higher the velocity of the projectile, the more it's impact looks like an explosive stuck on the hull at the impact point. Relativistic railgun shots look more like nukes detonating at the impact point( 0.1 gram at 0.99C for example, would have nearly as much energy as the nuke detonated at hiroshima).

As for civilian ships having armor, prohibitively expensive for anything with surface to orbit capability, though I could see the orbital and interstellar craft having a whipple shield. (still wouldn't do them any good against a big chunk of shrapnel)

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacegunconvent.php

zeracore

Post by zeracore » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 am

something tills me that the Souri Bridger technology wood be good at getting rid of the aftermath

last i heard there was and American research group that shout a 40 gram projectile at mock 5 out of a rail gun same group made a coil gun that lunched a 200 Gram at speeds of mock 1.5
and i think a Swiss company broke the 3 shout barrier with a rail gun a few years ago i think there shout out 4 shoots before it failed

my personal favorite experiment it the one group that is using coil guns to loch canisters full of .177mm bb

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:00 pm

charles wrote:Can't imagine the Helikaon will be retreating with the damaged thrusters the Scarborough gave it... I wonder what nasty surprises the Cirins might have in store for them... Probably just a trial for the destruction of the Prospero and murder of it's crew.
And we know that they were carrying JAKed marines aboard in the past. If the Cirins found such again...

Why do I get the feeling Helikaon's captain might not let the ship be taken intact or the crew alive?
charles wrote:Not sure what to think aout the ship-to-ship communications... But if the Souri collective ignore the conventions about projectile weapons, maybe they ignore the ones about Artificial Intelligence and have far greater advances in that field as well... An A.I. controlled ship?
On the other hand, who cares about the enemy breaking the UTC's rules of war when your saviors are totally apart from the UTC and don't appear to care for such pesky limitations as bans on projectile ordnance.
Some pithy statement goes here.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Feels like an end of chapter page to me.

Sorry to see CD move away. The highlight of the webcomic for me was the betrayal of the former owner of the Scar. That shot, that death - nicely played.

The story of Whisper is also very enticing. A nice mystery rests there.

I hope David can hold onto these mysteries and look to finishing this webcomic when and if he feels like it.

allikat

Post by allikat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:40 pm

skythorn wrote:Feels like an end of chapter page to me.

Sorry to see CD move away. The highlight of the webcomic for me was the betrayal of the former owner of the Scar. That shot, that death - nicely played.

The story of Whisper is also very enticing. A nice mystery rests there.

I hope David can hold onto these mysteries and look to finishing this webcomic when and if he feels like it.
I agree completely.
Good luck in the US David, and let me say on behalf of the fans that we wish you well.
We also all hope that you can find time in the future to keep up the comic. We love it!

charles

Post by charles » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm

*sigh* I know there's some more pages to come but I did almost shed a tear at the evident farewell to this amazing comic of David's

I wonder if he'll make this chapter fell like the story is wrapped up or drop a revelation that leaves us yerning for the next part of the story. Certainly the mysteries around the Souri's involvement do a good job along with the other revelations and unanswered questions from earlier parts of the story.

Maybe we'll see a book from David one day that continues the story.

I wish you well and the best of luck together with everyone else David... and I'm sure I'll be wishing you it again when the Epilogue is finished.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Relativistic railgun shots look more like nukes detonating at the impact point( 0.1 gram at 0.99C for example, would have nearly as much energy as the nuke detonated at hiroshima).
Only if all energy is dissipated into the target.
If your 0.1 gram pellet enters at 0.99C and exists at 0.989C then only 0.1% of its energy is actually transferred into blowing things away. Rest is pretty must wasted...

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Are you sure that you can't fire a railgun into the US visa requirements. David only managed to get his visa with 4 days remaining. Sounds a bit shirty to me.