Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Knowles2

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Knowles2 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:41 am

I think it time for the cirins to make a strategic retreat.

The UTC vessels have clearly got them out classed.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 am

and that is a shame if the only one of the two forces subject to this battle cant cause damage.

I did not expect a strategic retreat, i expected a hollywood style happy ending to this chapter.

charles

Post by charles » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:21 pm

MadCrimson wrote:C12P47:
Come on - using the same model including the same shots for the UTC fighter twice in panel 1 and 2? Not your stile, is it?
I don't get what you mean here. David makes Models for the various fighters and bombers, then positions them into scenes. Why wouldn't you use the same model for each fighter if they're all supposed to be the same? *shrug*

I'm not sure that the Cirins can make a strategic retreat. Unless they've been calculating for a jump this whole time, can get into position despite being under fire and have not had the calculations reset from all the damage taken, it doesn't look like surrender is really an option. The UTC ships have been untested before, but now the Major General must know his armour is far superior to what the Cirins can dish out and would know that he can give chase without putting his forces at much risk. The only real options are for the Cirins to keep gunning until they're completely dead in the water or make suicide, ramming runs on the enemy ships... or hope those allies they were counting on finally show up.

Merc ships are obviously no help. The Scarborough is probably the only one with powerful enough guns to affect the UTC ships. Unless there's a whole heap of mercs about to come in and make suicide runs... which is quite possible as even showing up to this fight is fairly well a suicide mission for most merc ships.

Its about now that Hal comes riding to the rescue in the Millenium Falcon yelling "YAHOO" and blasting his old UTC comrades away before telling the Cirins "You're all clear kids!"

Then again, maybe David will go completely against the audience's expected outcome and seriously have the Cirins suffer a significant loss here.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:43 pm

I think what he means is that if you compare the placement of the shots as compared the the fighter it appears as if none of them have moved. It actually looks more like the bomber suddenly exploded, or was hit from a different angle. That is my guess anyway. I half expect a Deus Ex and half don't. He said this was a good pausing point. So something will need to be resolved in the chapter for the whole plot arc. That could mainly be dialogue though and not military action itself.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:20 am

skythorn wrote:I did not expect a strategic retreat, i expected a hollywood style happy ending to this chapter.
I'm expecting Tolkien-style bittersweet, personally.
Some pithy statement goes here.

Draelun

Post by Draelun » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 am

MadCrimson wrote:C12P47: Come on - using the same model including the same shots for the UTC fighter twice in panel 1 and 2? Not your stile, is it?
Mad Crimson, the ships have followed their flight paths, so there is some relative movement as its only a short time after the previous panel. Its not a repeat picture but a consequence of the previous one with a closer viewpoint to the large ship.
I love that David knows the fight in 3D and shows us some of it.

MadCrimson

Post by MadCrimson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Draelun wrote:
MadCrimson wrote:C12P47: Come on - using the same model including the same shots for the UTC fighter twice in panel 1 and 2? Not your stile, is it?
Mad Crimson, the ships have followed their flight paths, so there is some relative movement as its only a short time after the previous panel. Its not a repeat picture but a consequence of the previous one with a closer viewpoint to the large ship.
I love that David knows the fight in 3D and shows us some of it.
As Lokekar Kra already pointed out I mainly referred to the shots being exactly at the same position again. Of course the ship's model should be reused - everything else would be madness. But the shots (if you abide seeing them in the first place) should be placed at different positions.
may contain nuts

charles

Post by charles » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:59 pm

The second shot was slightly zoomed in. I don't know if the time progression of the fighters and bombers moving in closer would have worked quite as well from a much more different angle.

But DAMN! the Scarborough isn't invincible to 50L weapons. Looks like a blasted hull breach, if thats the case I guess Whisper may be the only one who can survive it (depending on how her fleshy parts can cope). Then again, there's probably self sealing technology to close an opening.

They should have stayed with the Destroyer. At least it had failed to kill them 3/4 times... Scratch that, smart move would probably be the Taratane class ships since they only have 30L guns and a couple of missile launchers that probably face forward.

Unfortunately it appears that Daniel is no longer useless :(

Great work on the scene David. Love the shadow of the O'brien on the Vashnir.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Look like the alliance fleet eleminated that annoying little bug they had flying around the fleet. :lol:

Scarborough surely got to retreat from this battle now and hope the cirins live up to there promise of triple pay and repair that hull breach of there's.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:27 pm

By shots I referred to the weapons fire not the camera angle. I am not to sure it is a hull breach to the bridge. To me it looks more like the panel overloaded.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost