Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Fen

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Fen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:28 pm

David wrote:
SoulWager wrote:Also, shouldn't the commisar say, "So, we want them to come to us?"
Bah, two typos in as many pages. I'd fire my proof-reader, except I don't pay her anything. And she's my mother.
LOL :lol:

I want to know what's brewing now :?

~Fen

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Fen wrote:I want to know what's brewing now :?
"Something is coming."
Some pithy statement goes here.

see317

Post by see317 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:49 pm

~Fen
I'm betting coffee.

Totally going to be an advertising deal with a local coffee shop. Now, Kari be taking a time out in the middle of combat for a steaming cup of joe. Going to be amazing.

Fen

Post by Fen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:46 pm

see317 wrote:

~Fen
I'm betting coffee.

Totally going to be an advertising deal with a local coffee shop. Now, Kari be taking a time out in the middle of combat for a steaming cup of joe. Going to be amazing.
:D excellent! ;)

~Fen

charles

Post by charles » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Can't quite tell what they're planning here.

So they go into a defensive, seemingly waiting for the UTC and Daranir to come to them.
They fire off fighters to attack the thrusters of the capital ships.
They have mercs on the way to assist.
There is some other ally who has yet to possibly show up.

I think we can presume that if the Daranir's fighters are all over the planet, that they have a significant advantage in numbers of fighters, for the time being, but possibly not in fighter tech compared to those being launched from the UTC caps.

The Cirins appear to be the only ones with lances, as it looks like the UTC ships only have regular guns (although, a lot of them). That still spells trouble for the UTC in my books if they try to take the Cirins head on but those UTC ships are so narrow that it might be difficult for the ships to get a perfect vector on them.

The Cirins do tend to be much more maneuverable, so if I were the Cirins, I'd certainly try to reduce the UTC and Daranir maneuverability even more with the fighters and then come crashing in there and fly circles around 'em.

...another nasty thought... Bring the "bridger" out of the cloud and as close as it can get. Then have it fire off an emp pulse with your crew ready for it to take advantage of the extra 30 seconds it might take the UTC and Daranir to recover their ships. Thats 30 seconds they'd be without defence, maneuverability and thrust to keep out of the vector of those lances... Nasty.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Some of the shuttles coming from the planet could carry, in fact, suicide bombers instead of civilians.
Hitting the enemy from the back --- assuming they can reach the target in one piece --- they could inflict some significant damage to the enemy.

But if that happens, I don't want to be in the Kari's shoes!

charles

Post by charles » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Don't worry, Kari doesn't wear shoes :lol: :roll:

Yeah, I didn't think of that, but they could have some shuttles, armed with guns, hit them on a run from behind. Personally, I would have made sure that some of those shuttles carried equipment to setup some planetary lasers or missiles to fire into space from the planet surface.

If I were the Scarborough, I'd probably be zooming in at top speed, head on at a cruiser, fire off some shots and break away with the momentum carrying me off before they can fire anything heavy in my direction. Probably attract some fighters. The Cirin fighters were no problem for the old Niobe, but the Darani fighters generally seem to be better equipped (with cap buster missiles to boot) and I'd say the UTC fighters are probably a lot more nasty. But then I doubt the fighters would waste their cap busters or any decent amount of time on a civilian cruiser when there are bigger fish to fry and deal with.

In the end, the Scar will be mostly an annoyance as long as it keeps making quick sweeps on the outskirts of the battle field, so I can't imagine anything really deciding to take her on, except for a fighter squadron.

Another part of me is wondering if Novosi is really wrong about how many mercs will turn up to the fight considering the many sympathisers to the Cirin Alliance. Maybe the Niobids aren't the odd ones out, but then again, they probably have the most powerful ship of anyone, so its less of a risk or futile gesture for them to make. Really though, the Merc fleet could still be a serious nuisance to the enemy fighters who'd need to pay some attention to them, not to mention any hits they can put on the engines of the caps if they get around them. Its more targets for the Daranir and UTC to deal with and there are already to omany.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 am

I had this nasty thought about bridgers. The bridger warps out and in its place is something else right... Does that something else have to do something to be part of the exchange? If not imagine the confusion if the bridger warps in to replace the UTC capitol ships, suddenly looks like the UTC decided to leave and the Cirins have a new shiny ship... Care to guess the Dranir response to that. Meanwhile the UTC ships are in some random nebula where the bridger was and spend a considerable amount of timing figuring out: what happend! where are we! and how long till we can get back! Giving a aggressive estimate of how quickly they can do that they will be effectively out of this battle. While the cat most certainly be out of the bag now I feel it is already, how are they going to keep all those shuttle pilots quiet already... IMO might as well as show some fun potential for bridger tech, but of course I am assuming the other ships do not have to do anything to participate in the link. Sadly I think David is too smart to leave such a obvious loophole in, but I can dream can't I :)
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

javcs

Post by javcs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:I had this nasty thought about bridgers. The bridger warps out and in its place is something else right... Does that something else have to do something to be part of the exchange? If not imagine the confusion if the bridger warps in to replace the UTC capitol ships, suddenly looks like the UTC decided to leave and the Cirins have a new shiny ship... Care to guess the Dranir response to that. Meanwhile the UTC ships are in some random nebula where the bridger was and spend a considerable amount of timing figuring out: what happend! where are we! and how long till we can get back! Giving a aggressive estimate of how quickly they can do that they will be effectively out of this battle. While the cat most certainly be out of the bag now I feel it is already, how are they going to keep all those shuttle pilots quiet already... IMO might as well as show some fun potential for bridger tech, but of course I am assuming the other ships do not have to do anything to participate in the link. Sadly I think David is too smart to leave such a obvious loophole in, but I can dream can't I :)
I think that the "bridger" requires one component on either end of the jump.
Now, whether the individual ends are set up solely in pairs, or one bridger component can send to any other bridger component is another matter. Either way, it is an extraordinary advancement with all kinds of possible utility.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Dhraakellian wrote:
"Something is coming."
Okay, the "something" is a little closer to reality now. I still don't want to be specific, because it still might not happen, but I think in all fairness I need to tell you guys a few things:

1. It isn't related to Crimson Dark
2. It would be very very good news for me
3. However, it would have a negative affect on my ability to create Crimson Dark

I know, that's not really what you want to hear. I think it's better to give some warning in advance than to drop the news on you out of the blue. As soon as I know for certain, either way, you'll know.