Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:28 am

cbhacking wrote:Interesting about the new fighters... I would have thought that given the mass-production nature of fighters, such displays would be too expensive.
Remember too that the holoscreens in the fighters would be a fraction of the size of the one inside Scar's bridge windows. Also, not being on the inside of a window, they don't need to go transparent (depending on how the tech works, at least), so that might also save a little bit of cost.

Also, this is the big, prosperous UTC. I wouldn't be surprised if they, like Daranir/Radiant have a fairly hefty military-industrial-legislative complex going on.
CygnusX1 wrote:Those actually look like Cylon fighters!
Indeed. I was half expecting some vorrm vorrm sound effects.
Some pithy statement goes here.

see317

Post by see317 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:35 pm

It may just be me, but I'd imagine the benefits of having a full holographic display would make up for the added cost over standard sci-fi glass.

I mean, imagine if you could redesign the layout of the HUD to fit your personal preferences. For instance, if you like having a relative speedometer here while your radar display is over there, but your wingman likes his fuel and ammo readouts here... Instead of having to learn a fighter specific layout, you'd just need to load your personal preferences. Could allow a trained pilot to fly a wider variety of craft with minimal retraining.

It might also help to have radar readout overlay your actual line of sight as opposed to being on a seperate display altogether.

Fen

Post by Fen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Woooooh! Go Novosi :lol:

~Fen

weyrman

Post by weyrman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 pm

In the last panel, shouldn't it be United Terran Coalition?

Man I love this comic!

allikat

Post by allikat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 pm

weyrman wrote:In the last panel, shouldn't it be United Terran Coalition?

Man I love this comic!
I agree, on both points. Nice speach :D
Now let's see the space battle it deserves :P

Uncle_R

Post by Uncle_R » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Your delight is not unwarranted, you are exceedingly good at writing speeches for characters that fit the moment and the character's personality very well. and also make me want to go fit an epic battle.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 pm

I am looking forward for the big ass space battle.

But there need to be a twist in the story through, it to we are good, those are evil. An I feel there something bigger going on that our characters have yet to see.

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 am

I'm satisfied with the current knotty problem of "we are facing two space fleets, each of which alone is a match for us." Save the twist for getting our doomed fleet out of here alive.

Plus we have the smaller sub-problems of "Kari's past has been exposed on live radio" and "our mercenary fleet has only one visible ship".

I've mentioned that last problem before, but I'm going to keep harping on it until we see some mercenaries in action!

SoulWager

Post by SoulWager » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm curious about why Novosi would call for a defensive posture, maybe to feign overconfidence. Generally in combat you should only assume a defensive "safe" posture when you already have an advantage, when you're at a disadvantage you're better off taking a risk.

Also, shouldn't the commisar say, "So, we want them to come to us?"

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:47 pm

SoulWager wrote:Also, shouldn't the commisar say, "So, we want them to come to us?"
Bah, two typos in as many pages. I'd fire my proof-reader, except I don't pay her anything. And she's my mother.