Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
charles

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by charles » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Happy Birthday David.

Also: Not platypus! Ornithorhynchus paradoxus!
(points for whoever gets the reference, although it'll probably only be David or some other fellow Australian.)

Also remember that "Just last year" could mean January of the previous year when they're in December of the current year (i.e. roughtly 23 months appart). I remember it being mentioned early on that the war had been going for a year around when Kari joined the Niobids. I get the impression she's only been with them for maybe 4 months.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:20 pm

I need to update my timeline at some point, but I can tell you that the war began in Feb, 2688. The Prologue started in Dec 2688, and Chapter 10 started on the 14th March, 2689.

genejoke

Post by genejoke » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 am

Just twigged the buffy reference on the latest page. Obviously it's one of many but it took me a while to twig.

tau.ceti

Post by tau.ceti » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 am

Actually, I'd love to learn to read cuneiform, I've heard tell though that it is one of the hardest languages to learn. However, the British museum is looking for volunteers to help translate all the many, many tablets they have collected over the years and if you volunteer your time I'm sure one or two of the faculty would be happy to give you a passing knowledge of the language. I hope I'm right here when you're speaking about ancient Sumerian, I'm fairly sure Cuneiform is their written language.

shue2a

Post by shue2a » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:16 am

Hi, I'm not a gamer and I can read a bit of Sumerian! My username is actually my name from Sumerian language class. It's tricky because it's logographic and split-ergative, and not proven to be related to any other know languages. I got about as far as being able to read a door stone saying "So-and-so the King, the mighty man, the king of the four quarters, built this," but that's about it. Also, many cuneiform tablets are about the size of a postage stamp, with a curved surface and the marks all jammed together.
Anyway, I'm really enjoying the comic, so thank you for putting in all the work to make it!

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:39 pm

shue2a wrote:Hi, I'm not a gamer and I can read a bit of Sumerian! My username is actually my name from Sumerian language class.
You, my friend, have reminded me that I have the best readers in the world :)

angusj

Post by angusj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi David - re Game of Thrones ...
yes, it's excellent - both the books and the TV version too. The chap who plays Tyrion in particular is superb, but all the acting is first rate and compliments fantastic story line. I'm now reading the latest book - Dance of Dragons (Kindle version), no 5 in the series - which was released 2 days ago. Book 4 was a little disappointing but book 5 is again back to Martin's best.
Also, if you're enjoying GoT, you may also like Rome and Deadwood, both also gripping HBO productions. However, like GoT some scenes in these are a little too graphic for my sensibilities. (I think you can only get Rome on DVD in Aus. at the moment.)

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I would have never thought that there would be a population of ancient sumarian literati connected to this webcomic.

Completely bizzare, but wonderful.

On another thought, page 29 of Chapter 12 was stunning. Beautiful world work. I just LOVE the scene of the delicate atmosphere and girded clouds seen below. A beautiful and haunting pass through of the fighters past the freighter. Love your work Dave. Just love your work. ;)

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Interesting about the new fighters... I would have thought that given the mass-production nature of fighters, such displays would be too expensive. I suppose it lets them armor the cockpit a bit better (though how much mass can a fighter afford?) but in any case it represents either a major difference in the cost of the technology, or a very different thought process in the importance and financial value of an individual fighter.

I guess I'm reminded of Star Wars - Imperial fighters had no shields and no hyperdrive, but were mass produced and there were always people to fly them. Rebel pilots were in much more limited supply, but their fighters could take a couple of hits on the shields and operate without carrier support to some degree. Of course, the Imperials were the bad guys...

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Those actually look like Cylon fighters!