Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Knowles2

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Knowles2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:24 am

Interesting development.
Apart from the surrendering there vessels the UTC terms sound reasonable.

An unless they have ways to stop vessels from jumping surely it would make sense now for them to retreat and reconsider there next move.

Of cause we know that the Durani actively support the terrorist so leaving mean abandoning there friends to the UTC.

KJ_A

Post by KJ_A » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:09 am

I highly doubt that Admiral Novosi is going to be willing the hand over Farhaven, sovereign world of the Cirin Alliance which she was tasked with liberating to another foreign power.

Secondly, is Major General Molanthe wearing a post StarTrek:Insurrection Starfleet officers dress uniform?

Fen

Post by Fen » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:12 am

KJ_A wrote: Secondly, is Major General Molanthe wearing a post StarTrek:Insurrection Starfleet officers dress uniform?

No, star trek dress uniforms have gold braid on them and they don't have lapels :-)

~Fen

javcs

Post by javcs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:36 am

There's a similarity, mainly with the color scheme and style of undershirt, but the SF dress uniforms you refer to have gold trim (see here). Different jacket, though.
Star Trek may be one of David's major inspirations for uniform design, however.

--

Even if Novosi is willing to not start something until the odds are back in her favor, she may not have a choice - Commissars are political officers, and the Cirin version may or may not have the authority to override line officers. Officially conceding Farhaven - even if only temporarily - may be considered politically unacceptable. Likewise with complying with the rest of the UTC's directives.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:43 am

The thing is would the UTC be making those demands if they could not carry them out. An could the Cirin alliance really afford a defeat at Farhaven. Especially the loss the of there flag ship, i am guesting they cant. So it may not be political acceptable but I do not think they have a choice but retreat and live to fight a other day.

Of cause they cant get caught using pirates either so I am guesting they would have to abandon our crew as well.

javcs

Post by javcs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:56 am

Pirates? What are you talking about? They're legitimate mercenaries/privateers (granted, the Darani would probably kill them all or bury them in a hole somewhere never to be released if they could in order to keep their secrets).

Well, the UTC fleet units present may or may not be able to defeat the Cirin units present. The UTC fleet as a whole would no doubt steamroller the Cirin fleet as a whole.
Depending on the style and powers of the Cirin Alliance Commissariat, militarily feasibility and political acceptability may bear only a passing resemblance to one another. Thus, even if Novosi would rather avoid or delay this fight until she has better odds of winning without suffering crippling or otherwise unacceptable losses in the process, the Commissar may decide that politics override military concerns - on the flip side of that though, as a political agent, the Commissar would also be cautious about risking a shooting war with the UTC.
Most likely, the Cirins will want to withdraw on their own terms, not the UTC's terms. Concede only that they presently lack the military force to liberate and hold onto Farhaven at this time, but at the same time refuse to recognize UTC or Darani authority/sovereignty over Farhaven.

charles

Post by charles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Knowles2 wrote:The thing is would the UTC be making those demands if they could not carry them out.
Well... Its probably more political. They've given their excuse for being there and they only have an excuse for being in Farhaven, but if the Cirin attack now it gives the UTC an excuse to join the Daranir and come in with full force against the Cirin Alliance. If the Cirin don't attack they can pretty much keep holding Farhaven until it is annexed into UTC or Darani territory, or they've investigated and trumped up stories of terrorist training grounds on the planet which excuses anything the Darani were doing, together with excusing the Darani's decision to attack the Cirins for the terrorist attack they belive the Cirins carried out against them.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:49 pm

charles wrote:
Knowles2 wrote:The thing is would the UTC be making those demands if they could not carry them out.
Well... Its probably more political. They've given their excuse for being there and they only have an excuse for being in Farhaven, but if the Cirin attack now it gives the UTC an excuse to join the Daranir and come in with full force against the Cirin Alliance. If the Cirin don't attack they can pretty much keep holding Farhaven until it is annexed into UTC or Darani territory, or they've investigated and trumped up stories of terrorist training grounds on the planet which excuses anything the Darani were doing, together with excusing the Darani's decision to attack the Cirins for the terrorist attack they belive the Cirins carried out against them.

We know they do not have to trumpet up stories, the cirin have openly admitted to using terrorists tactics to attack that station, an they claimed full credit for it and blames durani for mixing civilian and military for any civilian casualties. Unless I am forgetting something.

An even the admiral are calling Vaegyr Ward and his crew pirates, Vaegyr Ward is not going to be happy about that, after all he a privateers not pirates ;) . Cirin are little better than the Durani, truth behold they are both as bad as each other, our crew just bounce between them trying not to be killed by either side or imprison or get vessel impounded.

I have not decided about the UTC whether they are good or bad and what there motivations are at the moment, but I am certain they would not be at Farhaven if it was not apart of a bigger plan.

I like the way the politician is handing all responsibility for the operation of to the admiral, guest things never change, bet he will take full credit for the operation succeeding and blame the admiral if it fails. The more things change the more they stay the same I guest.

javcs

Post by javcs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 pm

?? Admiral Novosi isn't calling them pirates. She's calling them mercenaries. There is a substantial distinction between the two, both in the colloquial and the legal sense.

The Commissar is doing a little bit of having one foot on both sides here. By fobbing the decision off on Novosi, if she makes the right call(with hindsight)/is successful he wins; if she messes things up/starts a war with the UTC, she can get scapegoated for it and turned over to the UTC as a conciliatory gesture.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:51 pm

"You have my word that whatever choice you make will have the full support of the Political Wing" ... unless things go wrong, and then they will put the blame.
I just "love" those situations :)
And I really wouldn't like to be in Admiral's shooes.

btw. what "mercenary fleet" is she refering to?