Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Fen

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Fen » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:11 am

David wrote:
Aegeus wrote:The UTC ships are vertically oriented? They must have a lot of stairs and elevators. Or maybe "up" is sideways in those ships and they just like to mess with everyone.
Trampolines!

Actually, the habitable areas of the ships are the centre sections (where the windows are) and the horizontal parts on the carrier. Most of the verticality is taken up by the ship's workings, weapon mounts and storage (fuel, air etc.), with variable-grav lifts for maintenence access.

HEEHEE! Low G trampolines would be awesome!

~Fen

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:13 am

Specs! Specs, I say!

And how long have you been sitting on those designs? They look reminiscent of ships I saw when I looked through your dA gallery way back when.
Some pithy statement goes here.

charles

Post by charles » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:27 am

Personally the UTC ships remind me of the mothership from "homeworld"

Its certainly a tricky situation. It looks like there's not many ships there if we presume we're looking at all of the main defense group, but from memory the UTC ships are a lot more advanced and deadly than either the Cirin or Darani ships. the Battleships are supposedly the most deadly ships between the Cirin and Darani and here are the UTC with two of the brutes.

On the bright side, they don't actually appear to have lances on them, just lots of regular heavy guns. There's certainly going to be a hell of a fighter battle between the compliments of those two carriers.

Its hard to tell if the UTC will get involved here and help defend the planet with the Darani, but if they do and the Cirin Alliance fires on them, its likely to open up to full involvment in the war by the UTC.

We had mention back on the last page of chapter 11 that the Nayardeen Ward was calling for them to stop the slaughter on Farhaven and there was talk of sending a peacekeeping force. Maybe this is that force and the Darani are being monitored by the UTC. So the real question is if the UTC will get involved in this conflict or stand aside and remain neutral while the Cirin Alliance attack the Darani ships...
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Greasel_burger

Post by Greasel_burger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Are the UTC's ships a revoultionary design? or just a straight upgrade? E.g. The Iron Duke Class battleships compared to the Queen Elizabeth class being evoultion, or a revolutionary design such as dreadnought compared to for example, the USS Texas (1892)?

Also i demand u-boat style steathships!

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:03 am

I think the best way of looking at it is to treat the two other fraction as countries like Libya or Iraq, UTC is the equivalent of Nato in military strength, years ahead in technology capabilities because of it wealth and resources.

Rather than them having just produce a revolutionary design in technology in a single jump, they just had the money and resources and stability to continually improve there technology and knowledge in small steps, and they just slowly extended there lead in technology and capabilities. I believe it mention they also limited sale of technology to other nations, just like western countries do.

Just reading the above points, I do not think I really explain it all that well, whole well, :lol:

I wonder if the UTC are there to protect the planet from both sides or if they are there for some other reason. I am look forward to see where this goes.

charles

Post by charles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm

I'd maybe think of it as:
UTC = NATO
Darani = Russia
Cirin = China

As far as military technology goes.

Really though, its hard to tell just what 5 years may mean in this future. 5 years techonlogy difference in WWII would have been devastating as was seen when one of the greatest fighter planes at the beginning of the war, the Japanese Zero, became cannon fodder towards the end of it thanks to advances in American fighters such as the Mustang.

5 years in today's world and you're not too bad off.

See, the other advantage that the Cirin Alliance has is experience. I don't know if the UTC have any other wars going on or if they've been doing battle elsewhere in the last 40 years, but if not they're not likely to be accustomed to fighting. Certianly Novosi indicates that these new ships are not known to have been in combat yet so its possible that we'll see some short-comings in the conflict.

Beyond that, maybe Novosi is still hoping and waiting on these allies they're counting on to tip the scales in their favor.

If they do battle with the UTC now, I think it'd be devastating regardless. They might take back Farhaven now but the UTC would now have every excuse to enter the war if three of it's ships have been destroyed and if they come in full force with the Darani, they would wipe out the whole Alliance from every one of it's planets. Even if the UTC were only acting as defence for Darani planets and stations, it'd free up the Darani fleet to come in with full force against the Cirin Alliance.

charles

Post by charles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Just thought in this further and I'm thinking they'll need to bring the Sparrow into combat. Unlike the Darani Carrier, it actually has some serious armourments that make it almost as deadly as their Heavy Cruisers.

The Darani Carrier can pretty much be ignored so they can concentrate firepower on those UTC destroyers. Once they're out of the equasion, its just a matter of chasing down the underarmed Darani carrier and smashing it with the heavier firepower.

The real problem is likely to be the fighters. From what I can tell, the Darani have a serious advantage in the technology of their fighters. I half recall that they're actually UTC fighters but maybe an older model so any fighters those UTC destroyers have will likely be a problem as well. Even the basic Darani fighters have missiles that can cause concern for the capital ships so they could really make the difference in this fight. The best thing the Mercenary fleet can do, when it arrives, is provide extra point-defence around the Cirin capitals.

One significant thing I notice about the UTC carriers is their profile. At first I thought the monitors in the Sparrow had a crossair and the UTC ships were simply too far away to see clearly, but now its obvious those thin lines are the ships themselves, which means they'll be difficult to his and many of the hits that are scored will likely be glancing. It also helps them bring all their guns to aim forward on one ship. The Cirins will want to get broadside to them in order to get the largest profile of the UTC ships for firing upon and also avoid half the guns located on the other side of the ship... Fortunately the Cirin ships tend to be designed for maneuverability.

The Heavy lances on the Cirin Vorstok and the single one on the Gershuda could really make a difference if they can get a vector on those narrorw UTC ships. If I were the UTC, I'd be avoiding those like the plague... unless they've managed to strap their own onto those shallow frames...

Fen

Post by Fen » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 pm

"Hunt down and eliminate any terrorist elements on the planet in interests of stabilising the region" ... Hmm I'm not sure that I like the sound of that! Or the "Disarm and surrender" part!

~Fen

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Um who made the UTC the school principal?? It seems like they want Farhaven now as it really does not look like they are returning the planet to its country nor are they handing it over the the republic. Though I suppose if the republic becomes a state then they probably will get the planet in the end.

In some ways this reminds me of the honorverse and what little I know of that series. Mainly that the major space power had a very outdated fleet, but everyone thought it was good and perhaps ahead of everyone else (that was my impression anyway). I am wondering if the UTC really does have this superior tech every where like everyone keeps saying.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

javcs

Post by javcs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:32 am

Well, in the Honorverse, the Solarian League did have the "most powerful" fleet, technically speaking, by virtue of its sheer size advantage - IIRC, the SLN has something on the order of 2.5-3k dreadnoughts/superdreadnoughts on active service with another 8-9k+ dreadnoughts/superdreadnoughts in mothballs in their Reserve. If they massed them all together, they'd be able to roll just about anybody under through sheer numbers. No idea how many lighter ships they have, though.
That being said, the SLN is (apparently) the most technologically conservative fleet in the Honorverse. Unit for unit, the SLN's DN/SD fleet is the weakest (their smaller ships tend to be more technologically advanced than their larger brethren) but when you outnumber the enemy by 4 to 1 (using the pre-war Havenite numbers - said to be the second largest fleet in existence) in active service units, and outnumber them 22 to 1 in total (theoretically), nobody's really going to mess with you. As such, the SLN can get away with having relatively crappy dreadnoughts and superdreadnoughts, since they don't see that much action.
The Sollies thought that they were better than everybody else (not invented here syndrome), but even "obsolete" Manticoran/Havenite units are more advanced than their "modern" Solarian counterparts. Non-Sollies with equivalent or superior capabilities simply chose not to enlighten the Sollies.

Here, though, the UTC is both more technologically advanced and (presumably) larger than everybody else (except possibly the Souri). Similar in some ways, but different in others.

------

That being said, I'm interested in what these "revelations" are that are the official reason(s) the UTC is getting involved; and, of course, the real reason(s).

Surrendering their vessels? Damn, but that's not gonna happen. I could see standing down and backing off, but not outright surrender.