Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
tau.ceti

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by tau.ceti » Sat May 28, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm pretty sure that it is the systems sun shining on the ocean of that world. some photos from space do look like that, I believe. 'Course, i could be horribly wromg, but if they all end up dying, scorched to cinder, I do not want anyone yelling, "It's all tau.ceti's fault", OK?

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:05 pm

It looks to me a little to bright and yellow to a sun reflection to me.

But may be it a different sun and slightly atmosphere that makes the reflection look so different to the one on earth and slightly out of place.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sun May 29, 2011 6:35 pm

I have to say that the panel of the Scar comming out of Riftspace has to be one of my favorite panels of the comic so far.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Charlie Foxtrot

Post by Charlie Foxtrot » Mon May 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Beautiful artwork! I'm continuously amazed by your depth and breadth of your creativity.

I'm hardly creative, but I can be pedantic. ;^)' It's stated that the Scar is 30km away and yet not within range of the HK. The 16" naval rifles of WWII had a range of 38km. The USAF Air Borne Laser (ABL) was expected to have a range of 600km. In line of sight engagements outside the atmosphere, the energy weapon ranges should be several orders of magnitude greater. 3000km?

Anyway, please forgive a frustrated engineer. Thanks for sharing your talent and vision.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon May 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Greasel_burger wrote: Sparrow class carrier

I win :D
Correct!
Charlie Foxrot wrote:Beautiful artwork! I'm continuously amazed by your depth and breadth of your creativity.

I'm hardly creative, but I can be pedantic. ;^)' It's stated that the Scar is 30km away and yet not within range of the HK. The 16" naval rifles of WWII had a range of 38km. The USAF Air Borne Laser (ABL) was expected to have a range of 600km. In line of sight engagements outside the atmosphere, the energy weapon ranges should be several orders of magnitude greater. 3000km?

Anyway, please forgive a frustrated engineer. Thanks for sharing your talent and vision.
You are forgiven, because you happen to be right :)

Coalition Law (In the CD universe) prohibits the use of weapons with effectively unlimited range (such as projectile based weapons) as it's almost impossible to take measures to prevent collatoral damage. Guns are required by law to be innefective beyond certain ranges. Even missiles must be hardwired to detonate after after launch.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:21 pm

Just a other question why would pirates follow the rules. An why would a pirate like Mensk limit his own weaponry.

Fen

Post by Fen » Mon May 30, 2011 7:34 pm

I assumed it was the local star.

~Fen

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:24 pm

Those back stabbing ******* :D

Or have they just grown tired of both sides fighting and are planning to blow both groups vessels out of the sky. I cannot wait until next Monday when we shall fine out the answers.

Presuming they are on the R.A.S.F side, I wonder where they deployed the rest of there fleet that was blockading the planet.

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:01 pm

The UTC ships are vertically oriented? They must have a lot of stairs and elevators. Or maybe "up" is sideways in those ships and they just like to mess with everyone.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:07 am

Aegeus wrote:The UTC ships are vertically oriented? They must have a lot of stairs and elevators. Or maybe "up" is sideways in those ships and they just like to mess with everyone.
Trampolines!

Actually, the habitable areas of the ships are the centre sections (where the windows are) and the horizontal parts on the carrier. Most of the verticality is taken up by the ship's workings, weapon mounts and storage (fuel, air etc.), with variable-grav lifts for maintenence access.