Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CygnusX1

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:01 pm

The Scar's heaviest guns are fixed forward.
So what!?
In space you can rotate your ship in any direction, regardless of your movement vector.

Your rotation matters only if you accelerate in some direction, but when Scar fired their main guns at the target, they didn't have to accelerate towards their target anymore, did they?

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sun May 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I think the point is that she is not used to that aspect of flying, ie keeping the nose towards the target while actually moving a different direction. I get the impression that the lateral thrusters are not designed to allow that really for larger ships. Might have something to do with the squishy bodies inside the ship. The drones did exactly what you would expect.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:40 pm

"I'm not used to flying straight at a target" plus the fact that the gunshots are in a perfect line, suggest that Scar is heading exactly towards the target.
If Scar was moving elsewhere and was just rotated to keep the front pointed at its target, every gunshot would hit the target from a slightly different angle - the incoming gunshots would form an arc (although every shot would move in a straight line).
If you ever played a shooter game with some fast-firing projectile weapons, you know what I am talking about :)
keeping the nose towards the target while actually moving a different direction
Having nose differ from the moving direction actually happens every time you rotate your ship.
Keeping nose fixed at certain point in space might require some skill, but I am sure ship computers should be able to handle that, even if the said point is moving/accelerating.

jae

Post by jae » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 am

Ahhhh! Back to a bit of human interaction. The explosions are pretty, but it's the humans who make the story. :)

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Wed May 04, 2011 11:33 am

I like it that the inexperience she has with fixed guns shows, she didn't maneuver to fire obliquely at the target, but simply straight at it. It should be pointed out that would also be the easiest targeting solution, so there is some sense in doing that, but a pilot experienced at it would also know how to shoot and then jink out of the way. What's amusing is that she implies that there's something kind of crazy about that kind of fighting, too.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Wed May 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Computers still store data in "partitions" in the year umpedy-ump? What, are they still running DOS or something?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:44 am

In nowdays operating system you can still find pieces of obscure code or standard left behind so that it is compatible with some older software, or simple because someone forgot to remove it.
I wouldn't be surprised to find messages like "this program must be run under win32" living somewhere deep in the future software.

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Thu May 05, 2011 3:02 am

Of course, partition could just as easily be a term that is still in use, kind of like firewall for instance... Words change meanings over time, after all. It should be pointed out that given what we've seen of the computers and such in this, the term certainly is unambiguous regardless of the physical form. Now, if he was really concerned about his data-safety he'd have kept the information on some kind of remote storage that was disconnected from the ship's mainframe. (note another "obsolete" term that has been used often in this comic but is very descriptive regardless of the physical form it may actually be describing) Not much different from data security even now, especially given what Whisper and others have shown regarding their ability to hack WiNi connections...

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Thu May 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Yep - "partition" just means "separator" or "section" really. All modern computers use some form of partitions anyhow - not just Windows hard drives, but even things like flashdrives (regardless of OS). In fact, a computer which *didn't* use partitioned storage would be more primitive than DOS, not less. There are times when you want seamless storage, and it's possible to get it across physical devices (see RAID, for example), but there are also times when you want the separation (I keep my / and /home mount points on different partitions in Linux, so I can reformat / without losing everything in /home).

Actually, speaking as a computer security guy, I find the concept of a per-user partition to be an interesting one. It's possible today, but usually people just use file-system security to separate users' data. That has weaknesses, like one user filling up the entire storage with so much data that nobody else can store anything (it's also possible to implement quotas, but perhaps better to just have a physical limit). It would be a little tricky to implement on a modern computer, since typically changing partitioning is considered to be a setup-time operation, not something you do often (it's possible, though).

Back to the story, I suspect Whisper kind of sees the computer of any ship she's on as her own territory, and probably treats security boundaries like cubicle walls; having them helps keep things organized and provides the illusion of privacy, but she can look in any time she wants. I imagine any electronically stored secret would need to be physically isolated from any computer she has access to if you want to keep it a secret.

anamiac

Post by anamiac » Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 pm

This is why I am against warcrimes trials. They're responsible for motivating Tyrants to stay in power longer and commit greater atrocities - to go out with a bang. Fear of warcrimes trials prevent negotiation, and lead to further violence.