Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Arv wrote:but why are the holoprojector screens only in the windows? If they're going that route, shouldn't it be feasible to go the rest of the way and project onto the whole wall surface, or even the bridge ceiling? I rather fancy the idea of flying a ship while seeming to be outside it. (Those who read the Outsider webcomic will know what I'm talking about.)
Or indeed the Minbari bridges from Babylon 5.

Or, despite the cheesiness and other detriments of Legend of the Rangers, the gunnery controls in the Liandra.

Yes, I did have to look up the name. :þ
Some pithy statement goes here.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Arv wrote:Loving the armour barriers, but why are the holoprojector screens only in the windows? If they're going that route, shouldn't it be feasible to go the rest of the way and project onto the whole wall surface, or even the bridge ceiling? I rather fancy the idea of flying a ship while seeming to be outside it. (Those who read the Outsider webcomic will know what I'm talking about.)
Holo projectors are very expensive. Mensk may have been filthy rich, but not infinitely so.

In an earlier draft, Vaegyr said "Raise the Shields" in the last panel pf page 2 rather than the first of page 3. However that would have led to endless speculation on what kind of shields he was talking about, and I was more interested in speculation about what Vaegyr wanted to say. I think this says a lot about my approach to story-telling in general.

Geo

Post by Geo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:59 pm

David wrote:Holo projectors are very expensive. Mensk may have been filthy rich, but not infinitely so.
Are they expensive to operate as well (wear-and-tear of the equipment)? Because otherwise I see no reason to keep the shields up most of the time instead of just combat situations.

Combat in the rim territories: Aim for the windows! Suck the air out of that ship!

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm just guessing (better known as blowing hot air out of my, well you know the rest...) but it seems like the area a holoprojector can cover would be limited, the more expensive ones can project a larger image. Thus, the balancing act combined with Mensk's ego-driven esthetic on the ship balanced out to cover the windows, only. It sure looks great whatever the reason! I'm finding that even though I was very sad to see Niobe fall, the Scarborough is definitely growing on me.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:02 pm

People like looking at things for real. Just think, what would you prefer in your house, windows or TV screens? Well, okay, not everyone has the best view in the world like I have, but still.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 am

Nice weapon fire.

Hopefully we will get some explosions in the next page.

I like explosions :mrgreen:

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:30 am

Oooo! Ball turrets! Wing mounted ball turrets that look like they can cover the whole upper hemisphere over the ship! I knew I liked Scar when I saw her, but I'm starting to think of sonnets and candlelight dinners now.

(Just... her name though. That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, I suppose, but it's a really unrosy name.)

David wrote:Holo projectors are very expensive. Mensk may have been filthy rich, but not infinitely so.
Ah yes, you did mention how pricey those projectors were when they were introduced. It's just that the comparative scale of the monies involved don't quite make sense to me. It's sort of like buying a custom Lamborghini and then getting a cheap GPS unit for it; even the best GPS in the industry would be chump change compared to what you've already spent. Is holoprojector technology so astronomically expensive that it rivals cutting-edge aeronautical engineering and, er, solid gold filigree decals?

Then again, it's also an artistic choice and I do respect that. This is a Peregrine Corvette, not a Minbari Sharlin nor a Loroi Vortex. A storyteller shouldn't have to justify himself to every fussy pedant with a nit to pick. 8-)

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Arv wrote:Oooo! Ball turrets! Wing mounted ball turrets that look like they can cover the whole upper hemisphere over the ship! I knew I liked Scar when I saw her, but I'm starting to think of sonnets and candlelight dinners now.

(Just... her name though. That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, I suppose, but it's a really unrosy name.)
♫♪ Are you gunning with Scarborough fair? ♫♪
Some pithy statement goes here.

charles

Post by charles » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:55 pm

I like the "pulsing" of the main guns.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this kind of fire would cause more damage somehow. Your slightly larger gun punches the armour, and then the slightly smaller shot hits the same point immediately after and penetrates through to sensitive systems.

Alright, so they're taking the relay out, not simply trying to take it over and possibly set it up to act as an anchor for the "Jump Bridge" or anything.

My best guess is that they're a diversion, probably attacking various unimportant systems to attract some ships away from the main Darani fleet.

On the other hand though, I guess that Darani fleet won't be able to call for additional ships in the immediate future, although they might be coming if they've lost communication with the Farhaven fleet anyway.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:34 pm

OK, it must be said: I *LOVE* the detail on the exploding drone in the first panel. Seeng the debris flying apart, seeing the back chunk being blasted away from the rest... I have missed your skill with explosions. I was worried that the drones would be too small to blow up satisfactorily, and I'd need to wait a whole extra three days for a decent explosion. Some very nice use of camera angles later, I'm quite happy to be wrong! Still looking forward to the bigger explosion though, of course.

Also, their shiny new ship got a scratch on it! Hmmm... how much damage can a fighter weapon (such as a drone mounts) put out against a ship with the size (and therefore probably not-too-heavy armor) of the Scar? I mean, I'm sure Mensk paid for good armor, but even if there's no internal damage I assume a hit like that will leave a mark. On the other hand, it's impressive, given how many of the drones there are, how well the hit ratio is going in the Niobids' (Scarboroughers?) favor. Either Kari is *REALLY* good at this, the ship has some excellent tracking capability, or drones are very bad at dodging. I suspect it's a combo of the first two; with lots of thrusters and no need to account for the mass of life support or the G-tolerances of a pilot, I imagine drones are normally pretty tricky to hit.