Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Arv » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:14 am

Aww man David, I hope ya ain't gonna fast-forward past Vaegyr's reaction to seeing the MWSoA. I'm betting Hal might have a dramatic change of heart when he sees her too, and I'd love to see the look on his face even more. And I do hope the team renames Scar to Niobe or Niobe II or somesuch, the "Niobids" is such a cool moniker and it feels funny if there's no actual "Niobe" involved. My belated, or perhaps early, early Christmas wish list. ;)

Commencing specious speculation: I have a strong suspicion that this mysterious structure is part of the Cirin fleet-jump apparatus encountered in the Katsulas Cloud; it has a certain structural resemblance. The entry gate array, perhaps. But we'll see, there's a lot of cool things it could be... orbital weapon, spy satellite, Souri device, or something completely unexpected, all up for grabs. We've such a good storyteller on our hands, armchair soothsaying doesn't count for much!

EDIT
That would be the Cirin Bridger, in the Katsulas Expanse. I'm picky about exactitude in my sci-fi. :ugeek:
Last edited by Arv on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:You know, I really do not ever recall ever seeing a shot showing the underside of Niobe. At least off hand any shot I remember seeing never showed the belly.
I think there's one somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment - but Niobe does have three main turrets according to the Database, and I'm pretty sure it's underneath the cargo fuselage.

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:58 pm

I don't know how to post the hyperlink, but you can see Niobe's belly turret clearly on Page 2 of Chapter 6. It's actually under the main hull rather than the cargo hull, and seems to be well to the fore, almost directly under the bridge.

EDIT
Oh hey, you can see the belly gun even more clearly on the title page of Chapter 4. Hey, you can see Niobe's hull nameplate too, just aft of the bridge windows! I didn't even know she had a nameplate. I wonder if Scarborough has a nameplate tucked away somewhere?

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Just copy 'n' paste from the URL bar:

http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... rip_id=128

Oh yeah, there she is, thanks for digging that up Arv. Time for a re-read to refresh my memories, methinks!

Arv

Post by Arv » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Heeeeey, lookit what I found! I was doing some archive-browsing (hence the belly gun errata above), and I stumbled over another hidden gem: Niobe's shuttle, the Chloris! I recall someone asking about it earlier; on Chapter 1, page 10 top panel, you get a nice clear look at the little fellow. Looks like he's got movable wings of his own, reminds me of the Lambda-class Imperial Shuttle from Star Wars.

Now that I think of it, I hope Chloris wasn't scrapped along with the Niobe. It would certainly be nice to have him in Scarborough's hangar together with Kari's Scimitar, assuming there's room. (The fact that Scar has an official hangar bay suggests that she'd have capacity for more than a single sub-vehicle, I would think.) The Helikaon shot up Niobe from below, no? Chloris was moored topside, seems likely he would have survived intact. The Scimitar should have been even safer inside Niobe's cargo bay as well. Seems to me it would be rather rude of the Cirins to dispose of two perfectly good vehicles along with their homeship, but who's to say what arrangements Admiral Chrome-Dome made before Alison Novosi took him down. Here's hoping, anyway. Can I add this one to my Christmas list, David? 8-)

EDIT
The Chloris can be seen on:
http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... trip_id=30

Thanks Vile. I'm embarrassingly net-illiterate considering how much time I spend online.

Vile

Post by Vile » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Aaargh! What's he been wanting to say for years? What? :shock: :? :lol:

javcs

Post by javcs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Vile wrote:Aaargh! What's he been wanting to say for years? What? :shock: :? :lol:
Probably something about shooting something Darani or going back to Farhaven.
Possibly also obscene, especially if it's about shooting something Darani.

Or, some cliche about weapons systems and shooting things. 'Sall good.

At any rate, I hope that they've had the time and inclination to study the systems and figure them all out. Or, at least, most of them.

charles

Post by charles » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm

"NOW WITNESS THE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLESHIP!"

Interesting to know they need Faster-Than-Light communication relays. I guess the signal must degrade in riftspace.

I'm still curious to know how communications work in FTL... Still betting on Vilya particles *lol*

I'm guessing they're going to use the relay to somehow setup a "jumpbridge" endpoint for the shuttles.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:42 am

Okay, I've been wondering this for a while, now. Why the heck would you ever want to use the cruise configuration? Why would you want to not be able to jump out at a moment's notice? The only thing I can think of is to present a smaller target, but the same surface area's still there, just in a different shape.

Vile

Post by Vile » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am

I'd need to check my notes to be sure, but IIRC cruise configuration is better for short, in-system jumps and extending the stabilisers makes them better for long distance jumps. So, cruise configuration is actually better for a quick getaway jump to a nearby location, giving you breathing space to calculate your "proper" jump.