Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Vile

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Vile » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:24 pm

This is why I love fillers! :mrgreen:

The only reason not to put windows on a spaceship is structural. Once it becomes economically feasible (and what isn't economically feasible on a luxury pirate yacht), you'll get windows. Why put windows on an airliner?

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:04 am

Nice!

But it doesn't answer the pressing question: where's the hangar/repurposed cargo bay for the Scimitar?
Some pithy statement goes here.

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 am

I've got to say that I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the detailed and incredibly well thought-out method used for that design. That goes way beyond mere esthetics-driven 3D work I typically see all over the internet, and deeply into the kind of product-design I'd expect from a manufacturer. I wouldn't have been surprised to see engineering schematics for the support structures even! As for the question of windows, I can say that NASA was pretty much forced to include them in the original manned capsules by the astronauts because humans need that kind of access on some level. Structurally they're definitely a weak-point, and when you need your ship to be armored as well they're probably a liability. However, you're crew's sanity is just as vital, if not more so. Thus, windows even though human senses are far too limited to be all that useful in space.

javcs

Post by javcs » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:10 am

Dhraakellian wrote:Nice!

But it doesn't answer the pressing question: where's the hangar/repurposed cargo bay for the Scimitar?
There might not be one. I think the Scimitar is probably being left behind.

There was a filler page on Niobe ... it had a panel loosely analogous to the interior layout one, but with labels. David may have reused the color identification pattern for the Scar's internal layout.
However, I don't remember when it was posted.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:05 am

Monday's bonus page will answer many questions.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:53 pm

javcs wrote:There was a filler page on Niobe [...] However, I don't remember when it was posted.
It's in the Database: http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... niobe.html :ugeek:

Wandalstouring

Post by Wandalstouring » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 pm

The moment Kari mentioned the pandas, I expected them to be filled with crack, second thought was they could be killer-droids not yet activated, but whatever they are, I bet it will result in an unpleasant surprise.

Vile

Post by Vile » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Okay, now that's what I'm talking about! :mrgreen:

I originally thought that the three turrets at the rear of the Scar were PD. If those little bumps at the stabiliser roots are the point defence turrets, the Scar is much more heavily armed than the Niobe. I think they need more gunners. And .. there's a hangar, I see ... ;)

hpackrat

Post by hpackrat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:53 pm

K, where the heck is the cargo bay? Even if it's no freighter, there should be a cargo bay where supplies & parts are stored. A hangar is generally ill-suited to being a dedicated cargo bay. An armory wouldn't be remiss either.
Last edited by hpackrat on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Well, David mentions that the aft portion is where supplies are stored, so I'm going to guess that instead of one cavernous "cargo hold" the ship has a number of smaller places which serve the same purpose. As you mentioned, it's not a freighter, so the ability to move bulk cargo probably isn't seen is important. That said, I bet the hanger *could* be used for cargo if they don't have anything else *ahem* to put in it...

Also, unless the forward-exhausting thrusters are meant for forcibly disassembling things, I think the term you're seeking is "Braking".