Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Vile

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Vile » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 pm

I've been studying that wallpaper (after all it's decorating my brand-new wide screen monitor at the moment!) and I was thinking that that "step" under the rear fuselage looks like it could house a conforming shuttle of some kind. But you're right, there could also be a cargo bay there.

By the way, the look on Vaegyr's face ("She ... what?") is priceless. I expect it must be tricky getting decent facial expressions out of Poser even with all the post-processing David does, but the expressiveness of characters' faces in CD continues to amaze me.

Ewic

Post by Ewic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 am

See now, i think giving Vaegyr and Co. a brand spank-me new ship is a mistake, as it was for shows like Blake's 7. Niobe's quirks gave her personality. I suppose this opens up new plot lines as they run into conflict with adherents to Mensk (does Mensk even have any adherents???? ^_^)...

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:11 am

I am expecting this one to have its own set of quirks. I bet Hal wishes they had made the swap much earlier though.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 am

Ewic wrote:See now, i think giving Vaegyr and Co. a brand spank-me new ship is a mistake, as it was for shows like Blake's 7. Niobe's quirks gave her personality. I suppose this opens up new plot lines as they run into conflict with adherents to Mensk (does Mensk even have any adherents???? ^_^)...
Well, I'd agree that switching from the Liberator to the Scorpio in Blake's Seven was a mistake, but not because switching was a mistake in itself. It was a mistake IMO because the Liberator was a unique and powerful warship that could do battle with anything in the Federation fleet and Scorpio was a lowly unarmed cargo barge; the complete loss of their space combat capability closed off a lot of exciting scenarios for the Seven. If the switch had been made from Scorpio to the Liberator instead, opening the door for episodes like "Hostage" and "The Duel", I'd be all up ons with it as a stroke of storyline genius.

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion that's what's on the horizon for Crimson Dark... :mrgreen:

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 am

Dhraakellian wrote:It's (the Scimitar) a commercially available model, used by several governments. I imagine the CDF could get their hands on one legitimately without too much trouble.
D'oh! (Facepalm) You're absolutely right. Serves me right for not doing the research. Although I couldn't be happier for being proven wrong. :D

javcs

Post by javcs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 am

On Kari's Scimitar, it probably was taken, actually - sure, the Cirin's could get their hands on one by other means, but Kari's Scimitar has (relatively) recent Darani communications and transponder codes. They aren't taking it for the ship itself, most likely, but for the contents of it's computer systems.

As for replacing Niobe with Scarborough ...
Remember, although Scarborough is almost certainly a better combatant than Niobe, she's only the equivalent of a light warship at best. In addition, I'd imagine that they'll need a fair amount of acclimatization with Scarborough before they can fully utilize her full potential.

Somewhat related to both of these issues - if they do, in fact, loose Hal, Kari's the only one with ship weaponry training or experience, which sort of limits the utility of keeping her fighter.

charles

Post by charles » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 pm

A pity the Scimitar only got one flight and use if its truly gone. If not, then I can imagine that it might be kept there for some unforseen scenario in the future. It gives them options between the Scar's weapons and doing something sneaky with a fighter which can avoid detection more easily.

I do like the change to the Scar. When you're dealing with stories like this you generally want your crew to have a unique ship. That either means an old, heavily customised model with all sorts of quirks a load of technological disadvantages but also a lot of reliability OR a state-of-the-art custom ship with all the latest and greatest technology to exploit over your foes and a chance to really explore the limits of the technology because it is so up-to-date.

The Scar is obviously more heavily armed than Niobe was and I can see much more strategy come into play with the need to face their opponents for the more powerful weapons to come into play, together with whatever uses they might find for extending and retracting the Stabalisers in battle (not any/many I'd imagine except to keep the retracted so as to present a smaller profile).

It probably has gravplates as opposed to a gravnet as well, so if they loose power or something again, it'll be floating time. Plus they could use it to attack anyone who boards the ship (presuming they're powerful enough to pull people down beyond 1G).

I'm looking forward to seeing the captain's room/office. I'm pretty sure its the one at the top of the stairs... I'm also looking forward to seeing if David draws Kari's room with all the pandas *LOL*
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:29 pm

javcs wrote:On Kari's Scimitar, it probably was taken, actually - sure, the Cirin's could get their hands on one by other means, but Kari's Scimitar has (relatively) recent Darani communications and transponder codes. They aren't taking it for the ship itself, most likely, but for the contents of it's computer systems.
Meh... It's been months. If the Darani haven't changed their code keys in all this time, they deserve to beaten up and have their lunch-money stolen. By Ewoks.

Arv

Post by Arv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:59 pm

LOLS! I'd almost forgotten how much I miss the back-and-forth banter between Vaegyr and the lads - "You saying this ship's better than mine?" "No, I'm saying it's MUCH better." And then V calls it mutiny... ahh, good times, good times. Larissa is an effective and capable leader, no question about that, but Vaegyr brings the pizzazz! :lol: :lol:

javcs

Post by javcs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Mercy Machine wrote:
javcs wrote:On Kari's Scimitar, it probably was taken, actually - sure, the Cirin's could get their hands on one by other means, but Kari's Scimitar has (relatively) recent Darani communications and transponder codes. They aren't taking it for the ship itself, most likely, but for the contents of it's computer systems.
Meh... It's been months. If the Darani haven't changed their code keys in all this time, they deserve to beaten up and have their lunch-money stolen. By Ewoks.
Fair point - though, having the recently outdated codes might make breaking or forging new ones easier. Depends on how they do it - if it's a purely randomized encryption, it'd be useless, but if it were an algorithmic encryption it might still be useful.
Still - if I were the Cirins, I'd extract all the computer data just on general principles - might not be useful, sure, hey - I'll give you probably not useful, but, you don't know unless you check.
Plus, well, it is the Scimitar of the "Hero of White Rim" - I don't think the computers got wiped, so it could still have the data from the Forlorn System - possible propaganda value there. Assuming that the Danzig actually did run into a Cirin trap there, not a DSec operation to martyr Kari (yes, it's a crazy theory, but IIRC nothing has actually ruled that out) ... the Cirins might be able to use Kari's Scimitar - if they can prove it's her Scimitar.

Also, on the fresh page - awesome.
Although, nitpick - shouldn't Vaegyr's sentence in the first panel end in a question mark? Or was it the phrasing of a question, but said such that it's a statement?

Either way, Vaegyr will probably be a grump about loosing the Niobe for the Scarborough ... until he gets onboard, and then he'll still act like he's being a grump about it anyways.