Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Lokekar Kra

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 pm

That certainly would be a great "last flight of the Niobe".
Edit: Heh, I know that those freighters are common, but really, parked at the same airlock as last time. Actually from a practical standpoint it makes sense that a couple of airlocks would see the majority of freighter traffic. I only noticed since I went back to fix in my mind where Niobe was orginaly docked here.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10 pm

IMPOUND TIME!
The Scarborough is going to HAVE to be seized by the Navy.
It only makes sense...unless the Niobids try to pull some "Salvage Law" bull...

But I don't think you can legally salvage something you stole in the first place.
In addition they were on a (admittedly an unsanctioned) clandestine mission, so the Navy has a bonafide right to the spoils of the mission.

Besides, does anyone know if the fighter will fit in the Scarborough? That'd be a heck of a thing to give up...it's quite an edge.

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 am

We have 2 similar shots of Niobe and the Scar, so we can compare scale. It looks like they're about the same length, but Scarborough has only a single hull to Niobe's 2, and I doubt it was built for hauling cargo, since it was Mensk's private ship. You could probably fit the Scimitar in, but not much else.

Maybe they'll scavenge parts from the Scar to repair Niobe? That would be pretty cool if we ended up with those wings grafted on to replace Niobe's ruined stabilizers.

charles

Post by charles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:01 am

Well, the Scar is a bloody expensive ship and can probably put up a decent fight with those guns of hers. If the Niobids are really sentimental they could sell it to the Cirin Alliance for Niobe and enough money to repair her. I recall that the Cirin Alliance uses some corvettes and the Scar is just a better corvette.

Not sure about the size either. The scar's single hull seems much bigger than either of Niobe's single ones. Looking at the open deck Whisper and Kari were on, its three stories high while Niobe was only two. The captain's quarters appear to be on the top level, directly behind that deck, crew quarters on the Level Kari and Whisper were on, so there could be a cargo hold under there, or you could store it on the bottom level of that open space.

Looking at the tail, its not as small as it seems with the levels there. Could store cargo. The Scar was built as a show-off and for the offensive, but I don't get the impression that Mensk might have bothered too much with the piracy stuff himself so its quite possibly not fitted to take a lot of cargo. But the Niobe was a luxury liner originally so who knows how much they could customise her to make way for more.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

charles

Post by charles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 am

Ha! I only just noticed the difference:

CAPTAIN Novosi
ADMIRAL Novosi

No more than four days travel from Espenson Station to Fontana Station from memory of how long Katherine's Glance took. Admiral Felton dismissed on the first day and with Novosi already shortlisted for promotion, I can only imagine that the immense success of the Niobid's mission and the uncovering of Felton's actions accellerated that process.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:55 pm

charles wrote:The "Grey Station" story in the Supporter's Club tells much more about Sarah. You learn what she did on Niobe before she left and a small amount of her history before Niobe... Plus you get a bit more of her personality displayed.

I wonder what Vaegyr's been doing in Prison. Possibly having some visits from his sister? Surely they'd reward her with that much.
Thanks for the tip! I've donated before, but I should probably become a regular supporter. :-) I'd love to read that one.

Admiral, eh? Is there no rank of commodore (or anything else between captain and some level of admiral), or did she jump a grade? All things considered it could have happened, but that seems fast...

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:02 pm

The Darani Republic has a Commodore rank (they used to take orders from Commodore Pearson). It's possible that the Cirin ranks are different, though.

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:11 pm

I strongly suspect that her predecessor was actually holding back her promotion, given the way he'd been behaving. His attempts to manipulate her by telling her she'd been short-listed were clumsy, though. Probably she needed the Admiral rank to be able to command that station, but it's also possible that they've done something like the junior-grade/senior-grade ranking for admirals, instead. It would make sense if you've got that system for the other ranks.

spacebender

Post by spacebender » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:41 pm

A very sweet reunion!

charles

Post by charles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 pm

DAWWWWW. Very sweet reunion. I was just expecting some line like "What took so long" but I got that and the trump card. Very nice work David.

And I was wondering if Alison would already have her new uniform. Nice touch there as well.

Man this is a long Chapter... Good one though and it doesn't really feel prolonged at any point IMHO.