Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
charles

Re: Floods in Australia

Post by charles » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:40 pm

MadCrimson wrote:Coming from germany I'm very much surprised that the comparision "an area as large as germany and france" is used outside european media.
What surprises me even more is that only about a 100.000 humans are in harms way. If such a flood actually hit germany and france over a 100.000.000 would be hit...
Man, australia is reeeeeally empty, isn't it?

Best wishes to you all down there!

MadCrimson
We're not empty enough. The problem is that people tend to build near the rivers and in the valleys because they're a good source of water and usually the location of the more fertile soils. This blasted flood has pretty much hit all the population zones and farm lands. Brisbane isn't even the worst of it to be honest. There are areas further North and West who have been flooded since Boxing day and still can't get fresh fruit and supplies.

They've got crews rumaging deconstructing a pile of debris which is around 6 metres thick, 3 metres high and bloody 100 metres long. Amongst that vegetation and rubbish are the carcases of dead farm animals as well as loved family pets and quite possibly the bodies of some victims such as the 13 year old boy who was swept away while rescuing his little brother, all mixed up with raw sewerage.

Most people have escaped with their lives, sure, and there's a lot of us just shrugging it off and saying life goes on and we'll rebuild, but thats all a brave face. Many of the homes flooded will need to be simply demolished or completely gutted because its been rotted by the water and sewerage has seeped into every crack and crevice anyway.

Thanks for putting us out there David. I know you guys went through hell with those fires that covered about as much of Victoria as the floods are covering of Queensland.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

Vile

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Vile » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Raukk wrote:
Vile wrote:Not that any of the crew have ever shown any interest in DIY before, given the state of the Niobe! :lol:
Um, actually, http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... trip_id=30, and how else do you think they get that custom rusted look?
Heh, I like to think that's not rust, it's the bronze plating that was popular in the day - a little worse for wear now. ;)

Vile

Post by Vile » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Ooh, look at the stuff visshing past outside the windows. Is that jumpspace?

charles

Post by charles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 am

Loving that first panel view from the outside.

Fractalsphere

Post by Fractalsphere » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 am

Long time fan here! The artwork is so gorgeous I'm very glad you're updating Crimson Dark on a regular basis. We all know working and getting bills paid (damn being responsible and stuff) takes priority sometimes. I'm sure CD will continue the same great story and quality it has been so far. ;-)

Also - we need to see what's happening to Vaegyr!! :( He's locked in a cell someplace without even so much as a cut-scene! And I suppose maybe a frame or two for Hal.. lol

Keep it up!
Rich

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:50 am

I am not worried about Vae, undoubtedly he has convinced his guards he has a great recipe for chili and subsequently they died of indigestion and he is a free man waiting for them.

I think we all can guess what Hal has been up to since we last saw him...
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Fen

Post by Fen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 am

Heh, I can sooooo see Daniel as the obsessive type! :lol:

~Fen

charles

Post by charles » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 am

Heh, I just suddenly noticed the contrast between Daniel's crew quarters and the hallway. I guess Mensk didn't figure his crew needed to lap it up in luxury. I wonder what the captain's quarters look like.

Heck, I wonder what kind of interesting personal possessions have been left by the crew, not to mention Mensk's hoard of information... possibly including his contacts in Cirin...

citizen7

Post by citizen7 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm

:cry: Hey, that's my pathetic tale of woe! I didn't get to go to space though - but I've certainly played my fair share of Star Wars: KOTOR and Mass Effect instead.

Keep up the good work, David.

Draelun

Post by Draelun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Because rust is basically 3 things, Iron, Oxygen, and Water, the later two are fairly scarce in space so I'm not even sure if 200 years would be long enough for that rust to accumulate that much.
Um surely the rust isn't deliberate decoration.
Actually the water is optional if there is heat when forming rust - burning iron will produce rust too. There is oxygen in the ship, which could probably leak in tiny amounts through joints (rivet equivalents??). the surface of the ship is constantly being heated or cooled depending on proximity to the sun and the amount of solar wind etc. Over time, if there is iron in the hull, rust would appear.
Alternatively maybe water is collected when they go near a comet trail. It would then alternately freeze or melt/boil depending on how far form the sun they are and which side is pointing to the sun.