Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Alvarin

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Alvarin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 am

I'm dissappointed!
Why does Sarah's balloon say "...if this does what I think it does..." and not "...if this THING does what I think it does..."

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:51 am

"Lock your s-foils into attack position." to boot! Very spiffy ship and nice idea behind the name process, though it still does not look like a colony ship to me, volunteer or otherwise... Unless Mensk was a pirate so he could colonize planets with his own genetic stock...
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Draelun

Post by Draelun » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Very spiffy ship and nice idea behind the name process, though it still does not look like a colony ship to me, volunteer or otherwise... Unless Mensk was a pirate so he could colonize planets with his own genetic stock...
This Scarborough is not a transport ship - if you look again at David's explanation - it is named after one (or two). Whatever Mensk is (oops) was he seems to have had family pride or some sort of historical pride anyway. Nice to know Aussies made it to deep space. (For the pedantics I am not discounting Andy Thomas but I can't count the Shuttle as Deep Space)

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:50 pm

I love the nebulae behind the Scar. Simply gorgeous ... A lovely ship, a lovely movement of the wings, and overall a lovely composition. Very very beautifully done David.

Just thinking in terms of space tactics - i'd be so confused with space combat if we had a multitude of non-horizontal views of ship vectors, weapons arcs and firing solutions superimposed on an active engagement between just two ships like the Helikion and the Scarborough. I can imagine all kinds of superimposed graphics and stuff, but the plain beauty of the ships in space with an up and a down is just mesmerising! It's that stuff which is exciting when I read space opera (Elisabeth Moon's Trading in Danger for example) but in reality, it would be a phenomenal amount of information to consider.

I wonder if elsewhere in this thread is a comment on this nebulea, it looks as though we have new features & colours visible in this beautiful bit of exploded star stuff :

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:"Lock your s-foils into attack position."
I was going to post this, but I was clearly beaten to the punch. To be honest I suppose it's closer to Voyager's variable-configuration warp nacelles (though as I understand it the stabilizers aren't part of the drive; they just make it easier for the drive to work). Of course, we even have variable-geometry aircraft today, for when you need maximum lift vs. maximum speed.

In CD, it seems like a really good idea given what we know about stabilizers. Is the Scar a really uncommon ship for having this feature, or is it reasonably commonplace on smaller high-performance starships?

Vile

Post by Vile » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 pm

The Scar looks better in every shot of her I see. Which is a good thing, because all too often tantalising glimpses lead to disappointment in the end - I remember the first time you saw the whole "Alien", that was a let-down. But the Scar is a beauty.

I wonder what the accommodations are like, though? She certainly doesn't look as roomy as the Niobe. Any small craft? Those forward-mounted guns look mean.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Vile wrote:I wonder what the accommodations are like, though? She certainly doesn't look as roomy as the Niobe. Any small craft?
It looks to me like the Scar is actually ever so slightly bigger than Niobe in terms of internal volume, but yeah, where's Kari going to stow her Scimitar? Is there a cargo bay door we haven't seen yet?

On the other hand, given the change in aesthetics between the smooth lines of the Scar versus Niobe's blocky outline, perhaps the crew will find some way to upgrade to one of those sleek new Scimitar MkIIs that caused so much speculation a while back and mount it on the hull somewhere.

This is, of course, assuming they keep the Scar instead of overhauling Niobe.

I'm honestly not sure which I'd prefer.
Some pithy statement goes here.

Raukk

Post by Raukk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Dhraakellian wrote: This is, of course, assuming they keep the Scar instead of overhauling Niobe.

I'm honestly not sure which I'd prefer.
I had thought much the same thing when I saw the Scar, and it makes me sad, because I don't want them to leave Niobe, that just wouldn't be right (it'd be like FIrefly without serenity), but I really love the look of the Scar. I'm sure David has it planed out.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 pm

By the time they get back the Niobe might already be scrapped...

They probably already scrapped the scimitar or lumped it with the other scimitars they collect after battles. Could be a resale market for that one since many governments use the scimitar as a fighter and it is in working condition and the alliance seem like the practical sort to me.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

wingsofwrath

Post by wingsofwrath » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:23 pm

I should probably comment on the current page, but there is something that tickled my mind while looking at the outside renders of the Scar - namely, that it reminds me of this guy, coincidentally also named "Scar"...