Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
skythorn

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by skythorn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Aye, the scar is a beautiful lump of tissue there.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:49 pm

I like the Scar a lot. Niobe might be Vae's baby, but I am voting that they scrap the Niobe if they get it back.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Bungalow_Bill

Post by Bungalow_Bill » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:20 am

"Heave to and prepare to be boarded."

Arrr! Avast there, ye scurvy landlubbers! Come about and heave to smartly now, or it's a ball in the bilges for ye! Arrr!

:lol:

Being an old sailor myself, I naturally love the idea that the navy will bring its traditions and language to space, but honestly I think the youngest service, the Air Force, will be the model for future spacemen.

dadman
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland (USA), in the Washington DC Greater Metro Area

Post by dadman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:30 am

It might have been an easy page to write, but the Scar must have been a piece of work design and render. :!:

Enjoy the week, and thanks for the writing you do, as the story is as compelling as the artwork.
yo soy un papi

macnut

Post by macnut » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:10 am

Time to use those emergency jump calculations...
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

Alvarin

Post by Alvarin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:53 am

Scar is very elegant ship. Infinitely more than it's interior.

Vile

Post by Vile » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Veerrry nice lines! 8-)

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:03 pm

macnut wrote:"Um the ship's WiFi net is asking for authentication too, this is gonna take a while."
Vile wrote:If the crew have to log in and out of their work stations every time, there's not problem - all of them will have clicked "Yes" whan asked "Do you want to save your password?"! :lol:
Of course, Shade probably just gave Whisper the passwords to the wireless. Whether Whisper then shared that information with Sarah is another matter.
Some pithy statement goes here.

javcs

Post by javcs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Very nice. I like the looks of the Scarborough.
Any chance we'll see the Database entry anytime soon? So far, I'm liking what I see of the Scar - I mean, sure, it may be a tad ostentatious on the inside, but the crew quarters and other facilities have got to be pretty awesome.

@ Sarone - Looks like there are the two light turrets on the flanks, another under the stern, and under the nacelles supporting the port stabilizer there appears to be at least one larger, heavier weapon. Presumably there's another such weapon on the starboard side.
Presumably, given Argurios Mensk's position, connections, and wealth, all the systems should be of the highest quality, which means military-grade capabilities or better. True, it's probably not designed for dealing with a full-up fleet warship in a fight, but, it is going to be a very sweet ship, and, really, since the Mensk family seems to make a lot of enemies, I suspect that the Scar was designed with that in mind - it should be able to overpower anything it can catch and run away from anything that it can't. And, of course, be an opulent and decadent ship.
Plus, I'd bet that a fair amount of it's capabilities are likely to be concealed.

Ach. The [i[Helliakon[/i] again.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Bungalow_Bill wrote:"Heave to and prepare to be boarded."

Arrr! Avast there, ye scurvy landlubbers! Come about and heave to smartly now, or it's a ball in the bilges for ye! Arrr!

:lol:

Being an old sailor myself, I naturally love the idea that the navy will bring its traditions and language to space, but honestly I think the youngest service, the Air Force, will be the model for future spacemen.
Actually, you don't even really need to look into the future - NASA is largely based on the USAF already. This actually makes a lot of sense with modern spaceflight, at least - relatively small craft, designed for only a few people, needing to be accustomed to operating in three dimensions and variable gravity. Futuristic starships might totally change that, of course. A Tempest class battleship has far more in common with a naval battleship than the largest armed aircraft ever built, in terms of crew complement, firepower, combat strategy, crew needs, and more. It still has to maneuver in 3D, a situation that most naval vessels really don't experience (submarines are a limited exception), but for something that size "heave to" really does seem appropriate.

Also, they must be worried as hell after the suicide ship. Demands to heave to without even first questioning their motives or direction? Of course, in a situation where keeping an enemy talking long enough means they can easily escape, I suppose that makes some sense.