Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Draelun

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Draelun » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:20 pm

On this one big thread, do people like being all in one big thread and not splitting it into chapters and or sections or pages?....but it might help discussion and community happen here some ...
I only read the comments every fortnight or so, so it would maybe make it easier for me to work out where I was up to? Maybe?

As to the easily identifiable command centre - if Babylon 5 could have it and Star Trek then why not CD? Surely there are ways to allow for that and keep safe? (You'll notice I didn't include Star Wars or Battlestar Gallactica - which reflects my view of their (lack of) attempt to be scientifically accurate).

charles

Post by charles » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 am

Multiple threads (either per page, group of pages or chapter) makes it much easier to track back to relevant conversations about particular events. For instance, I might want to go back and see what was discussed in regards to the revelation that Cirin forces could jump entire fleets of shuttles, but I could have a hell of a time pinpointing the place in this giant thread where that was discussed.

Well, I'm surprised to learn that Sarah also doubles as the Engineer, but I guess it makes some sense that SOMEONE had to do it before Hal. I'm guessing she served a double duty with Engineering and computers which would explain why they hired Whisper as well. Although Whisper doubles as a pretty effective weapon with all her Augs as well... Always handy when you're boarding enemy ships.

Heck, I've changed my mind. Sarah will probably stay and we'll start to see some rivalry between her and Whisper on the computer end of things, which will just make the story that much more interesting with the new set of character interactions. It was all looking a little too cosy and bland once Whisper and Kari patched things up and Hal moved on. Even then Hal was getting a bit predictable as the arsehole that everyone loved to hate. It'll be good to see two people we love in conflict together with the blossoming relationship between Whisper and Daniel.

...WAIT... Why did I only just realise now that Dan is the only man on an, otherwise, all-women ship?

This is like the scene of a Manga series
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 am

If you sign up for the Supporter's Club you can read "Grey Station", in which we learn more about Sarah's role on Niobe before Hal joined.
...WAIT... Why did I only just realise now that Dan is the only man on an, otherwise, all-women ship?

Why? How many Sci-Fi stories have had mostly male casts with one or two token females? Why is it so strange to have more females than males commanding a spaceship?

allikat

Post by allikat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:52 am

Dan and Hal I presume? Who cares what the proportion of women to men is on the ship? I love the story line. And the command deck seems to have quite a few star-trek influences. Seems old man Mensk was a geek on the side :mrgreen:

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:22 pm

David wrote:If you sign up for the Supporter's Club you can read "Grey Station", in which we learn more about Sarah's role on Niobe before Hal joined.

Why? How many Sci-Fi stories have had mostly male casts with one or two token females? Why is it so strange to have more females than males commanding a spaceship?
Going to have to do this so I get my dose of mid-week Crimson Dark ...

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Arv wrote:All the same, I wouldn't mind seeing a total hardcore-realistic depiction of fighting starships and space combat sometime, with dark undifferentiated vessels launching invisible beams and projectiles at the tiny dots of distant enemies across the vast gulf of space, just to see what it would be like. I guess it would be a lot like submarine combat, all tactics and stealth and sweatily waiting to see if you're the one whose hull suddenly tears open and sucks you out into the void... all suspense, no shiny flashy. Better for a written story as it would be pretty risky for a visual medium, but I could see it working if done well. Anybody ever seen anything like that?
The closest thing to it for psychological feel is probably Frank Herbert's "The Dragon In The Sea" (AKA "Under Pressure") from 1956, which actually was about futuristic (at the time) submarine warfare. Stealth in space is a controversial topic to put it mildly if you're going "hard SF" because of the thermal emission problems, but treat infra-red tracking as the equivalent of passive sonar and you're good.

David Weber writes Space Opera and his space combat never strikes me as particularly realistic. Awesome definitely, at least until his books became unbearably turgid (IMHO anyway. YMMV, but I gave up on him after ploughing my way through War Of Honor), but definitely operatic. I haven't read any of John Ringo's stuff so I can't comment there.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Splitting it up to me always seemed like a way to boost the number of threads for no particular reason. This thread gives me the feel that we are all sitting in one room and while the page might not cause much discussion just being here together we normally keep a flow of conversation going. Sometimes we barely say anything about a given page, so I guess I do not see a point for there to be threads with only a couple of posts...

It is nice to see Sarah thinking better of Daniel, I just hope it is in the professional way that she likes him better. Poor Whisper just got through one bout of jealousy.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

charles

Post by charles » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:49 am

David wrote:If you sign up for the Supporter's Club you can read "Grey Station", in which we learn more about Sarah's role on Niobe before Hal joined.

Yeah, I noticed that story in the supporters club. On my Chrismas wish list so I'll probably sign up on the day then.

I'm not saying its a bad thing to have a crew with a majority of women on a spaceship, or even as the majority of characters in a story. But it is unusual... except in Japanese Manga or Anime series where there are a number of popular stories out there which play off a scenario where one male is caught in a situation that he's in residence or adventuring with a whole bunch of female cast. The male character in these is often not even the lead character (although they're usually the second most significant and some kind of relationship develops between them and the lead female).

I do like how Crimson Dark doesn't seem to have a permanent lead character. Sure Kari begun as the obvious lead but thats mellowed out now and we've seen the role pass around Whisper and Vaegyr. I'm sure Larissa and Daniel will get their turns as well.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:Splitting it up to me always seemed like a way to boost the number of threads for no particular reason. This thread gives me the feel that we are all sitting in one room and while the page might not cause much discussion just being here together we normally keep a flow of conversation going. Sometimes we barely say anything about a given page, so I guess I do not see a point for there to be threads with only a couple of posts...
and I have a feeling of the room being large and quiet ... ah well, all people have different feelings. I guess we keep things as they are ... speculation and admiration of each page is an interest for me, and a space to say 'gee, sarah is done well today' praise or 'gee, where has the laws of physics gone with that pose' criticism. but if we don't say much, we dont' say much. Which is to say, I think we don't really say that much.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:43 am

I attribute that to the story telling really. We all are patient sort that realize we have to wait for our fix of CD. Part of the quiet it also due to people not going off onto tangents in this forum. People stick to the comic and really do not talk about anything else that is going on in the world or on a personal level. I understand some prefer to fill the silence or to talk about anything and everything but I appreciate the simplicity of this forum. I can ignore everything but the comic when I login here. That probably is making me paranoid about any changes people might propose *shrug*.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost