Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Alvarin

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Alvarin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Ooooh, shiny!
For crew's sake I hope operational areas of the Scar are more utilitarian. That sure would be distracting otherwise...

javcs

Post by javcs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:12 pm

Shade and Marcus said that the interior was a bit too ostentatious for their tastes, but dayumn.
I mean dayumn.

That's only the airlock accessway.
Imagine what the sleeping quarters look like. :shock:

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Oy. Now I'm really sure our heroes won't be cruising in the Scar for long. This just don't suit our scruffy band of rag-tag adventurers, eh? I just hope they get some kind of profit out of commandeering her; being returned to the Niobe without so much as a paint job on the hull patches would be rather cruel. I've been waiting to see what Scarborough looks like on the outside for three panels now, stop teasing me David, you authoritarian author!

And hey, thanks everbody for the comic links. Yeah, I doubt there's much out there that can compete with CD myself, but gotta give it a shot, eh? BTW there's one other nice sci-fi comic I've been following for a while called "The Wandering Ones" (http://wanderingones.com/). It's earthbound, art's hand-drawn, updates twice a week. Check it out. Reminds me rather a lot of J. Michael Straczynski's "Jeremiah" tv series. Man, I miss that dude.

EDIT: Whoops, I'm getting off-topic again. If the discussion about other webcomics and sci-fi media keeps going, I'll start up a new thread.

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 pm

charles wrote:...Then again, there was the mention of the fourth sighting of a Souri Behemoth in the last 6 months which kind of goes back to around the time she went missing... Maybe looking for her?
Whoa... that's an awfully interesting coincidence now that you point it out. It sure would be crazy if the Souri got involved... although I'm nervous about those "Death Star" Behemoths they fly around in. Tempest Battlecruisers are featherweights compared to those things?? And they've got more than one?? If I didn't know better, I'd have pegged the Sourishi Collective for our first non-human faction; I dunno how any lone isolationist nation could get so far advanced and powerful over all the others that the Collective seems to be.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Shiny. Very, very shiny. So incredibly much shiny! love the designs. You ever get the feeling that you're underdressed just by walking into a room? Not looking at what other people are wearing, or even when there are no other people, but just because this simply isn't a place for casual clothing? I'd be feeling that in our heroes' place.

If they manage to get this thing back to... anybody, really... intact, it should be worth a lot. 1/10th the value would proabably outright buy Niobe back. That said, I hope as much money and effort went in where it counts as well as to the interior design. A ship like this could have state-of-the-art jump computers, powerful weapons, excellent drives, and enough automation to be flown and even fought by a small and under-trained crew... or it could be 1000 critical design flaws hidden under (or made in order to accommodate) a quarter-inch layer of pure gold.

charles

Post by charles » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 pm

Yeah, the only problem is, as you point out, the Sauri seem to be the plausible mob for non-human. I tend to peg them for the Borg equivalent as a collective conciousness of people locked into VR or some kind of transhuman mob... Actually, David is a fan of Dresden Codak so I could really imagine that last part.

With Craig and the rest of those in the hospital looking relatively normal, I can't imagine it though. Either the Souri are much more normal for her to be a part of them, or she's simply not from there. Maybe the Darani royal family but I still can't imagine how she could go unrecognised, particularly by Hal, Creed, Antony and Reed who also had significant ocular augs, let alone the scanners that Cirin would have put her through.

Not sure if they can get Niobe back. It was noted that its doubtful she'll ever fly again. But then again, that was just Novosi presuming what the Cirin Alliance would do with it. In the loving hands of a dedicated crew, I'm sure they'd go the extra lengths and expense to get her working again. But I do wonder what new shiny things they might move from their new ship to Niobe that could give her all sorts of special surprises for the future... Only problem is, they don't have an engineer who can really fix her up.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

BlackMeph

Post by BlackMeph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 am

Nice opening, David!

As soon as I saw that interior, my first thought was, "I should be hearing Bach's 'Taccato and Fugue' playing in the background."
So I did, and it was good. :D

As for Whisper, I guess I'll have to go through the comic again, but from what I recalled of the set-up, I simply assumed that she's the equivalent of a mob boss' daughter.
If it's a Syndicate mob boss, that would rather well explain why neither Alliance or UTC scanners noted anything odd, but Mensk (guessing) and Shade had an idea of who Whisper is.
It's always darkest, just after the lights go out.

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Oh, that's just NICE! Such a wonderful parting gift.

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:50 pm

I LOVE your station and Capital Ship designs!!

You really should find an animation studio and submit Crimson Dark for production consideration. I personally would love to see it as your BG Back Grounds with 2D characters. :idea: :!: :?: :D

Vile

Post by Vile » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:32 am

Is it me, or is our ex-controller developing a healthy skin tone? 8-)