Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
skythorn

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by skythorn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Arv wrote:Oho, questionabable time.

Question for David:
Hey man, I'd love to donate and be a member of the supporters club, but your current setup only allows donations via Paypal and I don't have (or want) a Paypal account. Is there any way I can get money to you by Visa?

Question for everybody:
Does anyone know of any other science fiction non-comedy webcomic anywhere near the quality in art and writing of Crimson Dark? The only one I've found is "Outsider" (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/), but the author only updates like once every three months. Gotta be some other great visual stories out there for a starving sci-fi fan.

Thanks all.
No - I don't - but near options include

Jumpleads (similar to outsider)
Marooned (poorer than outsider and jumpleads)
Galaxion (a soap opera in space)
Freefall (it's furry, but it's awesome despite that - gag-a-day ish but still got a plot)

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Arv wrote:Oho, questionabable time.

Question for David:
Hey man, I'd love to donate and be a member of the supporters club, but your current setup only allows donations via Paypal and I don't have (or want) a Paypal account. Is there any way I can get money to you by Visa?

Question for everybody:
Does anyone know of any other science fiction non-comedy webcomic anywhere near the quality in art and writing of Crimson Dark? The only one I've found is "Outsider" (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/), but the author only updates like once every three months. Gotta be some other great visual stories out there for a starving sci-fi fan.

Thanks all.
Paypal generally allows donation via credit card without an account; it's how I've donated to CD in the past (something I should do more now that I have a real income). You're still doing business with them, which I find as distasteful as you, but it generally works. Not sure if that's an option for supporter's club, though.

Sadly, CD seems very much in a league of its own, especially if you count update schedule.
The best match I can think of that comes close is Runners (http://runnersuniverse.com/). A bit infrequent on updates but reasonably active.
Angels 2200 (http://www.angels2200.com/) has widely varying art quality, but at its best it's probably the closest to CD (art-wise) on this list. Good plot but not exceptional writing.
Sunset Grill (http://sunsetgrillcomic.com/) is non-space-based sci-fi and is less arty (closer to basic 3D poser, I think) but has excellent writing. Updating is currently less frequent than normal.
Terra (http://www.terra-comic.com/) is also (mostly) planet-side but is pretty (and has pretty good writing).
There are of course excellent comedic (but still story-driven) sci-fi comics, like Schlock Mercenary (http://schlockmercenary.com/index.html).

I don't want to derail this thread (I assume the forum *has* others? I've only visited this one.) but thank you so much for the link to Outsider. It's already been added to my favorites list, though I've also already read the whole archive (took 2 hours or so, sadly). Any other hidden gems like that would be awesome.

TheMrLee

Post by TheMrLee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:02 am

Bungalow_Bill wrote:That third panel, with Whisper and Shade looking each other over, is awesome.
Absolutely: great plot development. I was hoping we'd see Shade again. Great going, David.

charles

Post by charles » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:00 am

javcs wrote:
charles wrote:
Tempest8008 wrote:So any bets on who Whisper really is?
I suspect she's someone the "Niobids" wouldn't necessarily deal with if they knew who she was. Its the only reason I can think that Shade would conclude that the rest of the crew don't know who she is.
Not really - if her family is particularly prominent or famous, as seems likely, they would react to her differently. And, I suspect that if they knew what her real name is, they would have recognized it, or at least, some of them would have, since it was implied that there was fairly hefty news coverage of her and the fire.

Brief summary of what we know about Whisper's past:
Whisper's last name: Cross (Ref. C06:p15)
She was at "NMH" for treatment; N-something M-something Hospital; presumably either in Darani or Cirin space, given Craig's comments about there being a war on (Ref. C06:p47)
An "Agent Dau" ran the investigation into the house fire that killed her parents. There is some potential for resemblance to the D-Sec agent that boarded the Prospero - unconfirmed, though.
"Very important people" were responsible for Whisper's placement.
She's apparently fairly well-off.
She joined the Niobe's crew a few days before Daniel did, about 6 months before Niobe brought Kari to Espenson Station. That places it within a few months of her leaving the Hospital, roughly speaking. Probably, she's of Darani citizenship, rather than Cirin, since it is unlikely that she'd've gotten into Darani space from Cirin space that quickly and quietly.
She's also someone who has no DNA, fingerprint or other records with the Cirin since they'd have worked out who she was if she did. Its also unlikely that she has any DNA record with the Darani since their scanners don't pick her up either and considering all the time she spent in hospital, I'd expect them to either have DNA records or have been capable of getting them even after her departure. Yet the Syndicate (or at least Mensk) was able to work out who she was and Shade could do it from no more than her appearance (what little of it was there).

Maybe Nayardeen? (NMH = Nayardeen Medical Hospital). They'd certainly notice a war breaking out between Cirin and someone else. Heck, I'd expect Whisper to actually get as far out of the system/nation she grew up in to avoid discovery. Golgotha isn't far from Nayardeen territory either.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:50 pm

charles wrote:
javcs wrote:Yet the Syndicate (or at least Mensk) was able to work out who she was and Shade could do it from no more than her appearance (what little of it was there).
I reckon when Shade looks at someone she sees more than skin-deep, though. 8-)

charles

Post by charles » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Vile wrote:
charles wrote:
javcs wrote:Yet the Syndicate (or at least Mensk) was able to work out who she was and Shade could do it from no more than her appearance (what little of it was there).
I reckon when Shade looks at someone she sees more than skin-deep, though. 8-)
Probably, but wouldn't the Cirin scanners? Surely they would have used DNA scanners, Facial recognition, Fingerprint ID and other biometric data once the initial checks were unable to determine who she was. Heck, even the more passive Darani scans should have picked her up.

Kari mentioned asking Whisper if she knew ways around the scanners, so maybe there is some countermeasures to the passive scans if Kari even knows to ask.

Heck, There is that giant, distinctive moon with all the cracks in it shown in the picture of the hospital. That could be Gaidana's crystal moon (Actually, the Hospital's name is shown on that page but its blury, and too small to read :( )

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm

"Nesrehati Memorial Hospital". It's just a name, it doesn't mean anything.

Or does it?

No, it doesn't.

On a tangential note, I seem to have accidentally erased page 06.04 from my hard drive, and I think I did it a long time ago so it won't be in my backups either. I actually had to open the 3D scene file to get a closer look at the hospital sign. Egad, I built that hospital over three years ago - it's so bad I'm embarrassed just to look at it.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 am

You perfectionist need to stop criticizing you own work when it was the best you could do at the time. I get the feel that Whisper is actually from an important family somewhere. I would imagine that facial scans that far in the future would be rather useless in many ways since with augmentation available combined with cosmetic surgery.

My guess is that she is actually from the UTC. Shade recognizes her either because she is from the UTC or as another possibly heavily augmented person she has a pet interest in other people of note that have received major augmentations. Simple scans would surely show how much of Whisper is not flesh and bone anymore.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

charles

Post by charles » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 am

Every good artist seems to have this trait though.

What they never realise is that an even more scary thing would be to look at work from three years ago and think its great and right on par with what you're still doing. That would mean you haven't improved. The more shocked you are at your old work, the more you must have improved.

@Lokekar: The only thing with the UTC is that its far away from Golgotha compared to Nayardeen which is right on its door step, which is why I think Mensk and Shade would somehow be able to recognise her while Darani and Cirin people don't blink an eye.

I tend to think she's from an important family as well. The only other explanation is that she was some kind of famous child prodigy or star. There's the Darani royal family, but SURELY the scanners would have picked up on her in Darani space, or if she could be recognised then SOMEBODY else would have looked at her and worked it out (both Dan and Kari being Darani born, not to mention Hal who is from the UTC).

...Then again, there was the mention of the fourth sighting of a Souri Behemoth in the last 6 months which kind of goes back to around the time she went missing... Maybe looking for her?

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 pm

I think it's certainly possible that Whisper, being the expert she is about such things, has some way of tricking the sensors into not discovering her identity or, if they do, not reporting it and then quietly forgetting.
Some pithy statement goes here.