Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Sarone

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Sarone » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm

macnut wrote: Seems to me, the Niobids lose little by "capping" Mensk on the spot. After all, he already had a good chunk of the resources of the family devoted to hunting down the Niobids anyway, and at least this way, the family will be distracted by jockeying for Mensk's spot and won't worry about the Niobids until matters of succession are settled.

It's also always possible, and by the sound of things, quite likely, that both deceased Mensks were as hated within their family as they were outside. It may be that the rest of the family may say "good riddance, thanks Niobids." At the very least, Sapphira may be able to make a strong case that further pursuit of the Niobids would be more trouble than it's worth, after all look what it's already cost. The Mensk family may very well risk losing status with the rest of the syndicate families if they pursue this further.

Oh, that actually does make sense. Consider it:

Abraham Mensk (the first mensk to die) vastly underestimated what the crew had in terms of firepower and support, as well as the fact he was stupid enough to threaten someone from a weak position (I call the position weak when your enemy can blow you out of the sky without breaking a sweat).

The second Mensk was just retarded for bringing weapons aboard a station that can take extreme measures to get rid of violators. Not to mention shooting at a guest who has a private audience with the station master in front of her second command who doesn't play nice.

As for Argurios, I can understand him trying to go after the crew that killed his favorite nephew and "helped" contribute to the death of another Mensk, but he should have realized who he was dealing with. It certainly didn't help that the bodyguards he had weren't loyal to him and had figured out more money was to be made not doing anything. Which was caused by him being a pain in the rear. And with his death also led to his personel yacht being taken that probably has state of the art equipment, up to date star maps, and, most importantly for our beloved crew, information on every Mensk Family Deal in the galaxy that Whisper would love to hack open like a fat kid at an all you can eat bufffet. I'd hate to be Admiral Fenton when they get back (Not only did they complete they're mission, but took out a powerful ally, grabbed his ship, and have eveidence that he was dealing witha criminal syndicate as well as selling said crew out. He can kiss carreer good bye, one way or another.) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah, the Mensk Family will be too worried about damage control and power struggles to worry about the "Niobids".

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Very good points everyone.

When they return in the Scar though, I can definitely see the Navy impounding that ship for exactly those reasons. I'm sure Whisper will glean what she can before they hand it over, but think about it:

The personal effects of Mensk are there, including whatever the equivalent is of a PDA or laptop, and I'm sure it's got communiques, plans, shipping dates of cargoes, locations of bases, of other high level family members etc. The Navy will be able to come down on the parts of Syndicate operations run by the Mensk family like a hammer. If I were Sapphira I'd be cutting the entire Mensk clan loose. They're compromised.

This is why I love forums! You lot keep making me think of things in different ways.

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 am

Oho, questionabable time.

Question for David:
Hey man, I'd love to donate and be a member of the supporters club, but your current setup only allows donations via Paypal and I don't have (or want) a Paypal account. Is there any way I can get money to you by Visa?

Question for everybody:
Does anyone know of any other science fiction non-comedy webcomic anywhere near the quality in art and writing of Crimson Dark? The only one I've found is "Outsider" (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/), but the author only updates like once every three months. Gotta be some other great visual stories out there for a starving sci-fi fan.

Thanks all.
Last edited by Arv on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 am

Tempest8008 wrote:When they return in the Scar though, I can definitely see the Navy impounding that ship for exactly those reasons.
Ah crap, that's a good point and a very likely outcome. I was kinda hoping they would get to keep the Scar, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense that the Cirins would confiscate the ship and go "okay you helped us, here's your old ship back, and we'll even be nice and fix it for you." Don't suppose it's possible that someone would foresee this and go make the swap for Vaegr using a shuttle? Or that Mensk didn't leave any obvious valuables behind?

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Sarone wrote:Abraham Mensk (the first mensk to die) vastly underestimated what the crew had in terms of firepower and support, as well as the fact he was stupid enough to threaten someone from a weak position (I call the position weak when your enemy can blow you out of the sky without breaking a sweat).
Eh, it was only a single fighter. With a pair of anti-capital missiles. Positioned for a clear shot on his pair of main engines... followed by a strafing run on his thrusters. Yeah, he didn't suspect it, but that was right place, right time, right armament, and general luck to have not been spotted (I assume that thing had point defence). No argument on the second part of your post, though.
Sarone wrote:I'd hate to be Admiral Fenton when they get back (Not only did they complete they're mission, but took out a powerful ally, grabbed his ship, and have eveidence that he was dealing witha criminal syndicate as well as selling said crew out. He can kiss carreer good bye, one way or another.) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah, the Mensk Family will be too worried about damage control and power struggles to worry about the "Niobids".
Actually, I wonder what they're going to do with the info of Mensk's dealings. Who do they give it to? Saphira might want it suppressed, to avoid losing contacts - but the Niobids might get the Mensk's removed from the Syndicate by doing so. Both governments would want it, to clean house and paint the other side as criminals/pirates/terrorists. The *civillians* on both sides... who knows? Hmm... is there a Wikileaks (or similar) in this century?

Bungalow_Bill

Post by Bungalow_Bill » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 pm

That third panel, with Whisper and Shade looking each other over, is awesome.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:13 am

Arv wrote:Question for everybody:
Does anyone know of any other science fiction non-comedy webcomic anywhere near the quality in art and writing of Crimson Dark?
I'm quite fond of the BurrowWolf, but Dave doesn't update that often either. He's a busy fellow.

Yes, you do have to be called David to have a cool sci-fi webcomic. It's in the small print. Image

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:17 am

So any bets on who Whisper really is?

charles

Post by charles » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:25 am

Tempest8008 wrote:So any bets on who Whisper really is?
I suspect she's someone the "Niobids" wouldn't necessarily deal with if they knew who she was. Its the only reason I can think that Shade would conclude that the rest of the crew don't know who she is.

Whatever the case, she's evidently someone significant who can be recognised despite the fact she's been missing for seven years (heck, probably reported dead) and was only 14 when she went missing.

Then again, her benefactors that paid for her hospital treatment may well know she's alive and be actively looking for her. Heck, the police officer she consulted about her parent's death would even remember her.

*meh* she is Miss Cross aka "Whisper"
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

javcs

Post by javcs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 pm

charles wrote:
Tempest8008 wrote:So any bets on who Whisper really is?
I suspect she's someone the "Niobids" wouldn't necessarily deal with if they knew who she was. Its the only reason I can think that Shade would conclude that the rest of the crew don't know who she is.
Not really - if her family is particularly prominent or famous, as seems likely, they would react to her differently. And, I suspect that if they knew what her real name is, they would have recognized it, or at least, some of them would have, since it was implied that there was fairly hefty news coverage of her and the fire.

Brief summary of what we know about Whisper's past:
Whisper's last name: Cross (Ref. C06:p15)
She was at "NMH" for treatment; N-something M-something Hospital; presumably either in Darani or Cirin space, given Craig's comments about there being a war on (Ref. C06:p47)
An "Agent Dau" ran the investigation into the house fire that killed her parents. There is some potential for resemblance to the D-Sec agent that boarded the Prospero - unconfirmed, though.
"Very important people" were responsible for Whisper's placement.
She's apparently fairly well-off.
She joined the Niobe's crew a few days before Daniel did, about 6 months before Niobe brought Kari to Espenson Station. That places it within a few months of her leaving the Hospital, roughly speaking. Probably, she's of Darani citizenship, rather than Cirin, since it is unlikely that she'd've gotten into Darani space from Cirin space that quickly and quietly.