Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Vile

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Vile » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:47 am

Tempest8008 wrote:4. Do they seriously still call it "drydock"?
Well, they still call them "ships", right? ;)

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:29 am

Scarborough, top-of-the-line ship just out of drydock eh? Well armed... fast... corvette class... um, is this puppy going to be Niobe's replacement?

It kind of makes sense... poor Niobe got shot up very badly and I've been wondering ever since how our heroes are going to get her spaceworthy again, or if that's even possible. I suppose the Scar could be sold off or exchanged for Niobe's repair, but would that realistically make sense? From the sound of it, Scar should outperform Niobe as a privateer, and I'm not sure Larissa and Vaegr would downgrade just for sentimental attachment to their old ride. Maybe we're about to see the christening of Niobe II? :o

David doesn't seem to subscribe to the network TV philosophy of "everything back to status quo by the end of the episode", so I'm really curious about what's going to happen to the team in the long run. He's put so much work into designing the Niobe, I have a hard time seeing her being put out to pasture. But bringing in a shiny snazzy new ship would be undeniably exciting.

Speaking of long term changes, looks like Shade and Marcus won't be joining the cast, and that makes sense considering they already work for Sapphira. It would be nice to have Sarah join the team, but aren't they supposed to deliver her to the Cirins? Also curious about how they'll address their lack of engineer/tech, not sure I want to see the ol' grouch Hal cut loose permanently. Interesting times, interesting times.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:43 am

"Brand new, just four weeks out of dry dock"

I bet by the end of the week (in universe) the ship will be in a scrap yard.

macnut

Post by macnut » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:22 am

Or be a spreading cloud of wreckage.
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Tempest8008 wrote:I maintain again that Mensk was no threat. One man, alone. A powerful man, head of his family and a major player in the Syndicate. Better to be used as a bargaining chip than garden mulch. Yes, he was a threat to the Niobids, but I always thought of Larissa as being a bit more level-headed.
One minute you maintain Mensk was no threat, the next you say he was... :?:  Getting rid of a deadly enemy, with whom one could never trust any deal would stick, seems to me an eminently level-headed action.

Interesting to see that the concept of "weregild" is apparently still alive and well in the Crimson Dark universe, at least as far as outlaws and privateers are concerned. So in the end a pragmatic solution where everybody wins. Well, everyone alive anyway.

connectr

Post by connectr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 pm

The line "When you unlink, this mess will flush out behind you" has got to be a classic. It had me Laughing out load.
Greta strip, great verbiage

Vile

Post by Vile » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 am

Arv wrote:I'm not sure Larissa and Vaegr would downgrade just for sentimental attachment to their old ride.
I bet Hal sure as hell wouldn't! :lol:

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 am

Mercy Machine wrote:One minute you maintain Mensk was no threat, the next you say he was... :?:  Getting rid of a deadly enemy, with whom one could never trust any deal would stick, seems to me an eminently level-headed action.
No threat as in no IMMEDIATE threat. As in he wasn't going to pull out a gun and start blasting. My apologies for not being clear.
But subsequent events have proved my point invalid anyway. Sapphira obviously wanted Mensk dead so holding him as a hostage would have produced more problems down the line. I doubt Shade or Markus would have allowed Mensk to live.

I'm not speaking from any kind of experience dealing with the criminal element...all I have to go on is several seasons of The Sopranos and Law and Order reruns. However I do know something of family.
This isn't over.

Mensk's brothers, his father, his cousin's niece on his uncle's side, a few clone siblings, you name it. Depending on how tight that family was, there may be a lot of hurt heading toward our protagonists. Shooting someone in the back of the head tends to upset the victim's loved ones. Okay, maybe "love" is a bit of stretch when dealing with Mensk, but honour and revenge are still motivators. Allowing some two-bit privateer to get away with killing the head of your family scott free? Not bloody likely.

Alvarin

Post by Alvarin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:24 am

I'll rephrase Pratchett a little:
What is more natural a death for head of a family, other than a lance shot through the head?

macnut

Post by macnut » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Tempest8008 wrote:
Mensk's brothers, his father, his cousin's niece on his uncle's side, a few clone siblings, you name it. Depending on how tight that family was, there may be a lot of hurt heading toward our protagonists. Shooting someone in the back of the head tends to upset the victim's loved ones. Okay, maybe "love" is a bit of stretch when dealing with Mensk, but honour and revenge are still motivators. Allowing some two-bit privateer to get away with killing the head of your family scott free? Not bloody likely.
Seems to me, the Niobids lose little by "capping" Mensk on the spot. After all, he already had a good chunk of the resources of the family devoted to hunting down the Niobids anyway, and at least this way, the family will be distracted by jockeying for Mensk's spot and won't worry about the Niobids until matters of succession are settled.

It's also always possible, and by the sound of things, quite likely, that both deceased Mensks were as hated within their family as they were outside. It may be that the rest of the family may say "good riddance, thanks Niobids." At the very least, Sapphira may be able to make a strong case that further pursuit of the Niobids would be more trouble than it's worth, after all look what it's already cost. The Mensk family may very well risk losing status with the rest of the syndicate families if they pursue this further.
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.