Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Tempest8008

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Tempest8008 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:21 am

To be perfectly honest, I'm more interested in seeing how Vaegyr is going to handle Larissa murdering someone in cold blood.

Mengsk was making no moves for a weapon, he was caught cold and BOTH of his bodyguards had turned on him.

Effectively, he was helpless, and while I would assume he was armed he was not a threat.

Vaegyr was all set to allow Mengsk's nephew to live, but then that same nephew ran on at the mouth about how he was going to hunt down Vaegyr's family, his friends, his pet hamster etc etc and make them all suffer. Under such a threat, I can see Vaegyr's course of action of taking him out making sense. And Vaegyr suffered for it afterwards, he felt very guilty.

Now his wife has murdered someone in cold blood. How is Vaegyr going to deal with Larissa?

Add to that the fact that Mengsk wasn't just another thug. He was the HEAD of one of the 7 families (based on the Database) that make up the Creer.
That's going to do one of 3 things, in my mind:
1) Someone else from Mengsk's family will step into the head-honcho's shoes and everything will be quietly swept under the rug. "Thanks Niobids, no hard feelings."
2) The other 6 families will immediately wage a war to take over the Mengsk family territory and in the ensuing carnage the Niobids are forgotten.
3) Sapphira gets involved again, and this time orders all out war against the Niobids; for the same reason they have a death mark on them now, just 10x worse for killing a family head. Again, she may not like Mengsk, but he was part of her "crew".

tau.ceti

Post by tau.ceti » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:16 am

Interesting thought, I originally thought it was sarah who shot mensk, but looking back at it, it was Larissa.

Oh no, How will they get out of this one? Tune in tomorrow (this afternoon) Space fans! Same Space time, Same Space Channel!

macnut

Post by macnut » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:24 pm

I couldn't help but notice that during her explanation for why she turned on Mensk, Shade has yet to lower her gun arm. It could be she's worried about getting shot by Larissa as well, but it could also be something more ominous...

...like maybe she was ordered to make sure neither Mensk OR the Niobids survive their little feud. After all there will most certainly be fallout over the head of a Syndicate family being killed, and the killer herself ending up dead would relieve some of that fallout.
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

Alvarin

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:45 pm

... and a timestamp.

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:52 pm

They'd have to kill all the witnesses...and Vaegyr is still out there, so it's not a very "clean" operation. Especially considering there's no guarantee either of them would survive the fight, and more of a chance one of the Niobids would live to pass on what happened (and what they've heard).

From my own personal POV I'd have to say if I had a gun, and someone else was pointing theirs at me, I'd probably be pointing mine at them.

EDIT: Having just read the strip again though, I have to concur. I think we're going to see Larissa killed next. Or at least shot in order to make it look good.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:38 am

Tempest8008 wrote:To be perfectly honest, I'm more interested in seeing how Vaegyr is going to handle Larissa murdering someone in cold blood.
Hardly cold blood. Mensk might not actually have been shooting at Larissa at the specific moment she shot him, but he was a self-declared deadly threat to her, her husband, and the rest of her crew. He had committed, not just his personal actions, but the resources of his entire criminal syndicate to killing the Niobids, a threat that will continue as long as there is anyone still acting on his orders. He was, as they say, "a clear and present danger", and in Larissa's place, my blood would have been plenty hot at the very sight of him!

Vaegyr ordered the destruction of a helpless spaceship that was no immediate threat, killing its entire crew, because its captain represented a potential future danger, so if he has any problem with Larissa's action he'd be guilty of a massive double standard. Is this a sexism thing, that men are allowed to be ruthless and effective, but women are not?

Why is Larissa is surprised that Saphira wanted Mensk dead, by the way? It seems a bit naive. Her husband presumably wouldn't be shocked. It suggests a... troubling lack of communication between Niobe's senior officers. Not to mention between man and wife.

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:46 pm

A lot of layers here.

It WAS cold blood, btw. Even though he was a danger. I point to this conversation after the destruction of the Harlequin. Here and here. Both Vaegyr and Larissa didn't want things to be this way, and Vaegyr won't see this second wrong making a right.

I maintain again that Mensk was no threat. One man, alone. A powerful man, head of his family and a major player in the Syndicate. Better to be used as a bargaining chip than garden mulch. Yes, he was a threat to the Niobids, but I always thought of Larissa as being a bit more level-headed. That being said, if Larissa hadn't shot him, Shade might have.

As to it being sort of mysoginistic double-standard? Nothing could be further from how I see this. Vaegyr didn't WANT to kill anyone. I think Larissa did; call it revenge or protection, she made a VERY fast, command decision. Commendable. Ultimately potentially very bad. But that's the problem with command decisions, the responsibility for them can only ever fall on one set of shoulders. Look what Vaegyr's choice to take out the Harlequin did. A deathmark on all the Niobids and the enmity of the Mensk family...which lead to Larissa having to do what she did.

It's a rich tapestry of anger, betrayal, and energy weapons!

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:14 am

From my angle, Mensk made himself a very powerful enemy in more ways than one. We just have to see what information that is on his ship that'll have everyone after them, though.

Back to the murder, it's been pointed out it's a command decision. Add to it the factors that they had a very limited time line before the facility would be back under Republic control, Mensk making offers like no tomorrow, and being impatient to get his ship, and it becomes alot more apparent Larissa took the lesser of two evils.

Besides, if your enemy is going to stay after you for killing his nephew and stealing his personal flagship, you might as well kill him while you're at it. As for Saphira, she might turn around and tell the Mensk family to drop the whole matter since this can easily become problematic for business.

Mainman

Post by Mainman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:18 am

While a bit unexpected, Larissa's decision to dispatch Mengsk seems to me like the most immediately sensible one. Our heroes' future relationship with the Syndicate will be interesting to see, but I think sooner or later Mengsk would have had to be killed if the Wards wanted to continue living.

One thing for David: I'm just hoping that Shade's personality doesn't turn out too much like Whisper's. She seems a little more conventional in language, but some of her quips (and your 31.578etc note) suggest a 'Whisperish' attitude. Sara and Whisper, for all their similarities, have wonderfully different characters. I just hope the same ends up being true of Shade. Besides, it seems to me like there's only space in the story for one character as unique as Whisper.
*Enjoy the Sauce!*

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 am

So many answers in so few panels...
:D

I wonder if Mr. Simon reads these forums?

So, new top-of-the-line ship, hopefully Sapphira off their backs, and we know Larissa knows what weregild means.

No one gets shot. No new crew members, and the vacuum will swallow the evidence.

And on the pessimistic side:

1. A VERY traceable ship, illegally undocking from a space station under lockdown.
2. Mensk's body orbiting where he was killed. Tough to find, but not impossible.
3. A criminal syndicate given carte blanche on certain space station marques.
4. Do they seriously still call it "drydock"?