Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
cpuguy1

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by cpuguy1 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 am

Uh, Oh ... good point.
What species does Mensk belong to?

javcs

Post by javcs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 am

According to David, there are no sentient non-human life forms in the Crimson Dark universe.

I'm pretty sure Mensk is dead. After all, he's human, and even with exceedingly extensive augs, I doubt that he'd be able to ignore a hole through his head.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 pm

javcs wrote:According to David, there are no sentient non-human life forms in the Crimson Dark universe.

I'm pretty sure Mensk is dead. After all, he's human, and even with exceedingly extensive augs, I doubt that he'd be able to ignore a hole through his head.
My thinking is that what pirate would keep his brain in his cranium ... it's just foolish and such an obvious target. If there were anything valuable there it woudl be covered by armour or something. My thinking is that his valuable thinking apparatus is in his torso - or am I going far to far into an Alistair Reynolds novel with all this.

javcs

Post by javcs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:36 pm

skythorn wrote:
javcs wrote:According to David, there are no sentient non-human life forms in the Crimson Dark universe.

My thinking is that what pirate would keep his brain in his cranium ... it's just foolish and such an obvious target. If there were anything valuable there it woudl be covered by armour or something. My thinking is that his valuable thinking apparatus is in his torso - or am I going far to far into an Alistair Reynolds novel with all this.
I, uh, don't think that's a viable plan - depending on how it was done, that might result in a JAK, I think, since, well, there really isn't space in one's torso for your brain under normal circumstances. Plus, to move your brain to your torso, it would require extensive surgery - first you'd need to do aug's for your internal organs, so there'd be room, install a "brain-canister" in your torso, re-run the nervous and vascular systems so that things would run to the canister, and then, you'd have to keep the brain alive while transferring it from the skull to the brain-canister in the torso.
I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think that the CD-universe has that level of tech. And if it does, I doubt Mensk would undergo a procedure that risky. Plus, there would probably be some other serious downsides to such a procedure.

Plus, most training is 'aim for the center of mass', aka torso. The head is a smaller target, and less likely to be targeted and successfully hit by most opponents. While true, a headshot is more likely to be lethal than a torso shot ... the torso is also more likely to be hit.

I'd just wear personal armor and/or have defensive augs - probably cheaper and more effective, in the long run anyways.

Dredogastus

Post by Dredogastus » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:04 pm

Well!
That settles Mensk. Nice to see some truly righteous smackdown.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 pm

javcs wrote: <snip>
<snip>
I'd just wear personal armor and/or have defensive augs - probably cheaper and more effective, in the long run anyways.
Well, he does have that rather handy flange running virtically up his head. Apart from being really cool looking (if you like a black metalic slug running up and down your cranium to go with your bitter and twisted expressions, that does suggest some non-standard skull stuff.

Your probably right, i've just read too much into recent Girl Genius about how organs get slopped from one occupant to another, it's just not feasable in the CD universe. Still, true sci-fi baddies never die, they just respawn ...

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:10 pm

If "shot through the head" is enough to take down a heavily augmented JAK, why wouldn't it be enough to take down a moderately augmented old man?

Also, to clarify, Argurios Mensk may have had many pirates in his employ, but he himself was not, technically speaking, a pirate. The family heads are all respectable businessmen as far as the law is concerned, thanks to a considerable amount of bribery and corruption. Even Sapphira could walk happily around Espenson Station if she so desired.

Another point to clarify - "Marauder" is a generic term for any combat-ready ship used by a member of the Syndicate. While a number of these ships are mass produced at the Golgotha shipyards, such as the Tycho and Durandal classes, any ship class could be described as a marauder depending on its function. If Vaegyr had decided to work for the Syndicate, then Niobe would be known as a Tantalus class Marauder.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Alvarin wrote:"If you wanna shoot - shoot, don't talk "
Looks like Argurios Mensk never bothered to read the Evil Overlord List.
Some pithy statement goes here.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm

fantastic - now I get it.

I've been wondering about JAK's and their wetwork, and how compatible it would be to have JAK level technology (that can have a JAK stuck limpet like to the outside of a little fighter ship for days at a time without a space suit) implanted into a human. I guess that would make it a Class D augmentation - a complete replacement of human organs and or limbs (lungs and brain?) - JAK's are "JAK : Any human whose brain has been replaced by an AI. Highly illegal, they have historically been used as assasins and saboteurs where discovery or capture is unavoidable."

JAK's follow human form and function then - analternative CPU wetware wired into the brain case. Other observations are:
  • Jak's that stick to the outside of ships have a funny face a bit like star silver petals?
  • The same Jak's have weaponry inside their body - and can zap Hal
  • But cannot survive Whisper giving a loving kiss to the neck
I wonder if this should be a separate thread?

javcs

Post by javcs » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:25 pm

You create a JAK out of a person. Or, their body, at least.
Oh, sure, CD-verse tech could create an AI robot, but it would be mentally inferior to a JAK, at least, that's my impression from Sarah's monologues to Mr. Creed shortly prior to the Ophelia ramming the station.
The problem is, for a JAK to get the benefits of the human mind portion, it requires certain biological functions. Cripple or destroy those, and you get a dead JAK. Whisper ripped out a substantial chunk of that JAK's neck with her fully-augmented arm, and I think it was stated that the JAK wasn't in the best of shape anyways.

But, other than that, my understanding is you can load them with whatever augmentations you want within your budget limitations.

Also, I expect that you would load JAKs with only the relevant augs for whatever task you wanted to assign them, so there would be a range of abilities that a JAK might have, just as you could augment a normal person to have a more or less equally wide range of abilities, providing you were going to pour enough money into them.

The JAK that was on Kari's fighter probably had at least a week of life-support, possibly longer, was hardened against vacuum, and had an integrated lance.
The precise capabilities of Darani Marine JAKs are unknown.

Of known abilities, all of them could be applied to non-JAKs, though, any life-support augmentations would probably be of reduced endurance.

David wrote:If "shot through the head" is enough to take down a heavily augmented JAK, why wouldn't it be enough to take down a moderately augmented old man?

Also, to clarify, Argurios Mensk may have had many pirates in his employ, but he himself was not, technically speaking, a pirate. The family heads are all respectable businessmen as far as the law is concerned, thanks to a considerable amount of bribery and corruption. Even Sapphira could walk happily around Espenson Station if she so desired.

Another point to clarify - "Marauder" is a generic term for any combat-ready ship used by a member of the Syndicate. While a number of these ships are mass produced at the Golgotha shipyards, such as the Tycho and Durandal classes, any ship class could be described as a marauder depending on its function. If Vaegyr had decided to work for the Syndicate, then Niobe would be known as a Tantalus class Marauder.
Ah, so people know that the Heads are up to no good/heavily involved in criminal activities, but they can't prove it, I take it?