Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
skythorn

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by skythorn » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:51 pm

I was wondering how Shade knew what Sappaha had to say.

speculation : Is Shade shade, or someone else in a mask?

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:32 pm

I went archive diving and found that the Log entries (pgs 250-254) between the Katsulas Expanse (2weeks after Golgotha) and Ardman platform (probably 2 weeks before the Prospero incident) covered 4 months 6-8-2692 to 10-8-2692 and the "gost" is first mentioned 7-8-2692. That means the death mark has expired at least month and 1/2, probably 2 to 6 months. How did we miss such obvious clues? :? Also Mensk has threatened to cut off trade with Golgotha to both the CDF and RASF in pursuit of his private vendetta. Presumably Saphira knew enough of the character of Mensk to predict the problem and inform (or warn) Shade & Marcus when they were hired. :geek:

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Samantha wrote:covered 4 months 6-8-2692 to 10-8-2692 and the "gost" is first mentioned 7-8-2692.
Nice theory... except you're using American date notation. I (and everyone in the future) use Australian/UK. So those logs cover four days, from the 6th August to the 10th August.

Alvarin

Post by Alvarin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Mensk was the head of his entire clan. No way he was THAT stupid...

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:28 pm

David wrote:
Samantha wrote:covered 4 months 6-8-2692 to 10-8-2692 and the "gost" is first mentioned 7-8-2692.
Nice theory... except you're using American date notation. I (and everyone in the future) use Australian/UK. So those logs cover four days, from the 6th August to the 10th August.
yes, the difference between the month and the day catches SO many people unaware.

cool headshot. Excellent outcome. Now, on to the animated corpse exercises ...

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:44 pm

David wrote:Nice theory... except you're using American date notation. I (and everyone in the future) use Australian/UK. So those logs cover four days, from the 6th August to the 10th August.
Ah... Obviously ISO8601 has fallen by the wayside in the future. :)   Nice decisive move from Larissa.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Anybody want to speculate on whether he'd actually have let either one live if they'd gone along? He might even have paid them before displosing of them...

Also, it pleases me far too much that 0.31578947368421052631578947368421 is in fact the value of 18 over 57. Such a simple thing, yet far too often it's just a completely BS number.

algesan

Post by algesan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Decisive Action! Now to move the story right along, although I wonder how many Mensks are left since there was the comment about how quickly the clan would be eliminated at two dead.

David, you didn't say how long it had been. Part of it depends on the time for the trial and transit to the station.

You know, actually reading what the Geneva Conventions say (not what some politico says they say) can do wonders. It is possible to decry the fact that unless combatants play by the rules, then they actually are unpersons with no more rights than a mad dog, but the alternative is much worse. After all, remember one of the goals was to stop the indiscriminate, and legal, abuse of enemy civilians. Looting, rape, murder, who cared, it was done and there were no agreements against it. The people who crafted those agreements also realized that if combatants were allowed to hide among civilians and shoot soldiers, then the soldiers were 100% justified in gunning down those civilians. The same logic applies to hospitals, places of worship, etc. if one side militarizes them, then they become valid military targets.

You know, a whole lot of these arguments against would gain some validity if the enemies in this war actually followed *any* of the Geneva convention rules.

TheMrLee

Post by TheMrLee » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:45 am

Excellent story line for this chapter. However, I'm beginning to think humanity is doomed: far too many people with aug'd bodies that would completely disclude intimacy, let alone procreation. Poor Shade and Marcus—hired guns who can't do anything fun with their downtime.

Geo

Post by Geo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 am

TheMrLee wrote:Excellent story line for this chapter. However, I'm beginning to think humanity is doomed: far too many people with aug'd bodies that would completely disclude intimacy, let alone procreation. Poor Shade and Marcus—hired guns who can't do anything fun with their downtime.
I bet most of the (heavily) augmented people are busy in the space industry. There must be billions of people who don't need heavy augmentation to go along in their daily lives.

Btw, 57 combat simulations while the late captain Mensk was talking to the Niobids? Perhaps Whisper lowered the odds in those simulations somehow when all that data was transmitted between Shade en Marcus? ;)