Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Arv » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Samantha wrote:Counting the 3 AWOL their are 7 trapped behind the blast door and they have the drop on 2 more for 9 soon to be out of action. I looked up the only corvette(Lendao) in the database and it has a max crew of 6 so it looks as though we are down to a boss fight. :mrgreen: they might be even be able to blow the airlock before Mensk gets through but he has what appears to be armor or bulky augs under his cloak so he might still be a problem. The right angle magazine and slim barrel of Marcus's gun suggest that it might be a illegal bullet rifle even though that probably wouldn't be the best weapon in most boarding situations. :geek:
Um, no offense, but I rather doubt an overlord of one of the seven pirate clans would choose an old cheapo Lendao as his conveyance of choice. Besides, 3 AWOL's + 4 active crew + 2 elite guards + Mensk = 10, and as you've noted, the Lendao can only carry 6 crew. (Unmodified, anyway.) It's more likely that Mensk uses a corvette not listed in the database, or even a custom-built vessel.

Hmm, Marcus' weapon does look like a slug-thrower. Something like a 7.92 mm Fallschirmjäger Gewehr 42, or maybe a WW2 Sten machine gun . Though that doesn't mean anything necessarily... the look of a gun could be deceiving as to how it functions, especially in a science fiction setting. Like, Hal's lance rifle looks like a plain ol' sniper rifle to me, something in the Barett M82 series maybe. (Hooray for Google image search.)

Shade is the coolest design ever. It ain't easy to make a woman look intimidating (to my sexist eyes anyway), and Shade is both obviously female and very scary. Visually, between her and Mensk or even Antony, I'd be more afraid of her. I did notice her wrist gun, neato! Varia power armour FTW! I wonder how our Niobids got the drop on her and Marcus? Those two don't seem to be the kind who'd be completely distracted by even a vacuum breach warning, especially when forewarned that it could be a decoy, and it seemed like Marcus was still facing forward enough to catch the movements of the blast door closing and the Niobids' entrance in his peripheral vision.

/nitpick off. Awesome comic as always. The suspense is peaking... can't wait till Friday!

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:03 am

So Mensk is more of an idiot than I thought...

I am wondering who all are going to be the casualties off this confrontation. David does not seem averse to killing off characters, so this will be an interesting shoot out. Does anyone expect Mensk to just hand over his ship?

Edit: If he does that just screams trap of some sort to me.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

JoelG

Post by JoelG » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 am

Lokekar Kra wrote:David does not seem averse to killing off characters, so this will be an interesting shoot out.
I've seen no tendency in CD yet to kill off main characters...how did you come to this conclusion? Frankly, the only Niobid I could see being killed off isn't with the crew anymore...the rest have too much interesting character development in the near future to consider killing them. Sarah, maybe, since she hasn't been a big part of the comic so far, but she has a LOT of potential, and killing her would completely change the direction of the story, since they'd have no prize to take back to the Cirin. The Daniel and Whisper storyline had BETTER pay off, Larissa dieing would really change the tone of the story, and Kari is practically the viewpoint character. I just don't see it.

Re: Marcus' gun (how did we find out his name was Marcus?)...the magazine protruding to the left does suggest a slug-gun. However, the length of the barrel suggests medium-to-long-range capability. Carrying a rifle-length weapon in short-range areas is a good recipe for achieving an early grave, since they take considerably longer to bring on target. The length of weapon Larissa and Kari are carrying is the longest you'd ever want on a space station or on a ship. Same goes for Hal's lance rifle, although since we don't know anything about how energy weapons work, we can easily posit that they need the extra length to achieve the extra power.

On another topic, Mr. Creed's augs have always bothered me. They completely cover his face. What if they WEREN'T augs, but was only a very clever mask. He could take it off at the end of the day and never be recognized as himself. Perfect cover for a spy. (No charge if David want's to use this. :)

I'll add my compliments to the other recent ones. I read somewhere around 50 webcomics on a regular basis, and CD is the number 1, hands down. Best graphics, best characters, best storyline. You really deserve to have someone throw some money at you and create a TV show. I nominate Joss Whedon or Straczynski to direct...just let it not be on FOX! They'd let it run for 12 episodes, then cancel it! (For those out of the country, they've done this to a LOT of good shows.)

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:02 am

We have lost Hal, though so far that is not permanent. Kari's wingman died early on. They started the fued by killing Mensk's relative. The "good guys" have gotten shot and one lost a leg so far. All that to me suggests that if David feels it is how it happens, then there will casualties. So in other words I do not see the author pulling bunnies out of hats so that no one ever dies.

In the current situation it strains the logic to see them come through this unscathed, in fact I am going to be surprised if one of them does not die. Two guns vs presumably 3 and as fast as Whisper is they should be able to get off a few shots, even the Marine did case in point. The marksman on the crew is also currently gone. Larissa is an unknown and Kari is a pilot. Most likely neither are crack shots and as people have said Shade appears to have armor and Marcus probably does as well. Would be surprised if Mensk does not have armor on as well. How well will the carbine penetrate that?

On page 20 (current one) Shade says "...Marcus and I...". All the rest of the crew have been named but the one holding the AR.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

JoelG

Post by JoelG » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 am

No main characters have been killed, yet. I've got no problem with woundings, but it would majorly change the feel of things for any of the current Niobids to die.

As for the fight, it's two weapons against two weapons. They have the drop on the pirates, and armor or no, that makes a difference. They could probably get off two shots apiece before the Scar crew fired. (Although, Larissa REALLY should be using a two-handed grip, not holding it as a pistol. A one-handed grip with a pistol is bad enough, but with a carbine it's going to be wobbly.) Shade will be easily a half second faster than Marcus, considering that her weapon is on her wrist, not a long-barrel, but it's probably weaker than the Marine carbines the Niobids are carrying.

As my father always said, "paper will hold still while you write anything on it." It's the job of the author to make it plausible. I can definitely see them coming through this fight all alive.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Great scene, though I'm a bit puzzled that our heroes all emerged from cover, especially those without ranged weapons who just provide the bad guys with more targets. And why not simply open fire without warning? They're not police with a legal duty to bring 'em in alive, and their targets are armed members of the opposing force, not station security "just doing their job" or something. Mensk might have some value as a hostage, I suppose. The two mercenary goons, not so much, so why give them any chance at all?

Do heroes have to be stupid? Remember, Han shot first.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 am

Mercy Machine wrote:Great scene, though I'm a bit puzzled that our heroes all emerged from cover, especially those without ranged weapons who just provide the bad guys with more targets. And why not simply open fire without warning? They're not police with a legal duty to bring 'em in alive, and their targets are armed members of the opposing force, not station security "just doing their job" or something. Mensk might have some value as a hostage, I suppose. The two mercenary goons, not so much, so why give them any chance at all?

Well, they are probably trying for a presence attack. Look, there are a lot of us, and we are seriously rough looking - the girls are anyway.

A wrist blaster - That's going to be cool to see in action.

I just realised that Dave does not use gratuitous noise effect layers over the action. It does clarify the images we see, but it also makes it difficult to pick up on what is moving and what actions have just happened. I wish there were some way to show movement of features in the comic, the pages need to be explained somewhere like 'the blast door is being lowered' and 'muffled thumps from 2 other shipmates hidden behind lowered blast door'. I wonder if a hovering tool tip might help a bit - in the same way that Dr McNinja has a comment on every page you can read if you hover the mouse button over it.

see317

Post by see317 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Mercy Machine wrote:Great scene, though I'm a bit puzzled that our heroes all emerged from cover, especially those without ranged weapons who just provide the bad guys with more targets. And why not simply open fire without warning? They're not police with a legal duty to bring 'em in alive, and their targets are armed members of the opposing force, not station security "just doing their job" or something. Mensk might have some value as a hostage, I suppose. The two mercenary goons, not so much, so why give them any chance at all?

Maybe it's not wise in this setting to go around killing mercs outside of specific situations? I mean, the mercs haven't made any kind of aggressive movement, haven't aimed guns etc... Killing mercs might make it harder to hire new guns in the future, and if you do it enough then maybe the mercs start coming after you. And since they're typically well armed and well skilled (kind of have to be to be a living merc), that's a dangerous breed of people to upset.

Alternatively, they heard Shade sounding unhappy about possibly leaving people behind and figured it'd be a good time to offer them a place under the ships new management. Bigger risk, I'll admit, but it could have a bigger payoff with two or more well armed new crew members coming along to increase the explosion:word ratio.

Third guess (and my favorite): Whisper's been talking to Shade over some kind of augment wireless network for the past 5 minutes or so negotiating a new contract.

Alvarin

Post by Alvarin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Well, SOMEBODY of the Scar crew has brains...

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:28 pm

I like the image of a future society in which a lowered wrist is recognized as a sign of agression,a nd a raised wrist is friendly or welcome, like shaking hands today (the intent of which was to show yourself to be unarmed). I'm amused by the way Mensk keeps referring to them "murdering" his relatives... immunity to logic, or just a serious superiority complex? The latter seems more likely, I suppose, but I'd like to see his response to
"You call *us* murderers? Wasn't it your "blood" who broke an agreement, attacked without provocation, and responded to an offer of mercy with death threats against *my* family? You shouild be glad we're less vindictive than him..."

Also:
"You get the perks, got your own room."
"You share a bunk?"
"... With that one."