Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
David
Site Admin

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by David » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Vile wrote:
David wrote:I just want to jump on this quickly and say that there are no aliens in Crimson Dark, and there never will be.
Of course, if there was going to be a big alien reveal at some point in the future, you'd tell us now, right? ;)
There are plenty of reveals to come, but I can state unequivocally that none of them involve aliens. In Crimson Dark, humans are the only sentient life-form in the galaxy. There's alien plant-like life and animals, but nothing which could be described as intelligent by any stretch of the imagination. Most extraterrestrial worlds have relatively primitive eco-systems, and even the garden worlds like Tau Ceti and Gaidana have nothing as sophisticated as life on Earth. The conditions on Earth are absolutely perfect for life, and no other planet is quite the same.

Not that I have anything against aliens... some of my favourite Sci-Fi involves aliens... but CD isn't that kind of story.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:52 am

I wan to know what would happen if our good controller were to cast the ship off and open the airlock... I thought it was very idiotic to setup positions only inside the station.

I assume that Mensk is aware of the secret passages as I doubt they want him walking in the front door when he visits.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Don't worry Dave! :D

I'm here twice a week every week and sometimes I pop in just to check the action or look at the art in other chapters/pages and in the extras you've got up! :D

I would characterize myself as a Crimson Dark Nerd. :lol: :geek:

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Shade seems unusually human to me, given who she is. To even bring up the point, "Sacrifice the crew for the ship?", in such a blunt and forthright manner indicates to me that she has quite strong feelings on the matter. After all, she is a pirate working for what seems to be one of the more unscrupulous families in the business, and Mensk's reaction shows that she's treading close to the line.

Not to mention the fact that if I was a pirate going up against the crew of the Niobe I would have a serious case of paranoia. They don't know our heroes like we do (and even we know that they are pretty good), so to the pirates they must seem a formidable enemy. :?

No aliens, I have no problem with. I don't really believe in the story potential of aliens, as the aliens I imagine would be too weird to interact with on any level. Maybe as wallpaper or as a reason why some planets are not colonised (existing tenants), but I can easily live without them in CD.

Wait, what are those two guys doing in the background in Panel 4 (down the corridor behind Mensk)? :shock:

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Vile wrote:Wait, what are those two guys doing in the background in Panel 4 (down the corridor behind Mensk)? :shock:
Those two are some of the rest of Mensk's crew. I would have shown all four, but my computer slapped me across the face, so just assume that the other two are just around the corner.

see317

Post by see317 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:00 pm

So, no aliens. (even if we ask nicely) :cry:
Have humans been on different planets long enough to develop notable planet-specific phenotypes?
IE: High gravity planets resulting in humans that are stockier and/or stronger with heavier bone structure then would be average, or low G planets (or space colonies) giving rise to taller people with less bone mass? Planets that are closer to their stars producing darker skins, planets farther from their stars producing lighter skins. Etc...

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:48 pm

see317 wrote:Have humans been on different planets long enough to develop notable planet-specific phenotypes?
500 years or so? I doubt it, unless there's been intentional tinkering. Perhaps some selective breeding, especially on planets off the beaten track, but it seems to me that the major variations between humans in CD are due to augs.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Vile wrote:Shade seems unusually human to me, given who she is. To even bring up the point, "Sacrifice the crew for the ship?", in such a blunt and forthright manner indicates to me that she has quite strong feelings on the matter. After all, she is a pirate working for what seems to be one of the more unscrupulous families in the business, and Mensk's reaction shows that she's treading close to the line.
Even pirates understand about loyalty within a crew. Mensk is a baddie of course, and apparently a member of the Darth Vader school of personel management. Me, I'd be a little more careful about so blatantly telling someone who might one day be standing behind me with a weapon: "I'd flush you down the crapper without a moment's hesitation". I'm guessing Shade is augmented as well as armoured, since she has no visible weapon.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Mercy Machine wrote:I'm guessing Shade is augmented as well as armoured, since she has no visible weapon.
It's not easy to see, but she has a small gun built into her right arm.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Counting the 3 AWOL their are 7 trapped behind the blast door and they have the drop on 2 more for 9 soon to be out of action. I looked up the only corvette(Lendao) in the database and it has a max crew of 6 so it looks as though we are down to a boss fight. :mrgreen: they might be even be able to blow the airlock before Mensk gets through but he has what appears to be armor or bulky augs under his cloak so he might still be a problem. The right angle magazine and slim barrel of Marcus's gun suggest that it might be a illegal bullet rifle even though that probably wouldn't be the best weapon in most boarding situations. :geek: