Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Some Useless Geek

Post by Some Useless Geek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:50 pm

[comment deleted]
Last edited by Some Useless Geek on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Site Admin

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by David » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Some Useless Geek, at what point have I introduced the Republic Guards and stated that they have all of the fancy technologies you assume you have? When have I said that they are military units equipped with a comprehensive suite of sensory augs, rather than some private contractor with basic ocular enhancement?

Had I done so, then you would be well within your rights to accuse me of being inconsistent, but maybe its best to assume that you know less about my world than I do.

I have made a number of "slip-ups" over the past four years, such things are inevitible, but this was not one of them.

Draelun

Post by Draelun » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Yeah David!

And - Some Useless Geek, you are extrapolating from present-day technology. I'm old enough to remember people saying that home computers would never be feasible (and to have found it believable at the time). I can also remember the super inventions of the original Star Trek, when they were impossible gizmos that we wouldn't have for 200 years. We don't quite have tricorders, but we do have communicators, and our computers are don't have lots of wires inside them the way the (real) Enterprise did. What we can do now and the way we do it now does not necessarily allow us to accurately predict the future (even with in-depth knowledge).

Enough. It is David's world that he has generously shared with us. By all means pick up mistakes, as I do (its quite fun), but don't try to tell him how his world works.

Tachyon

Post by Tachyon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Not meaning to interrupt your facinating argument here, but I just wanted to point out that my girlfriend and I have Asperger's too, and she recommends http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com as a source of info on disability rights and things. >.>b This person's writing is very profound and engaging sometimes.

Good luck with things, David. There are a lot of autistic bloggers out there that might give you a different perspective than you'd get from neurotypicals writing about us.

DamianR

Post by DamianR » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Interesting to hear that you have Aspergers. My eldest is Aspie, and while I haven't been diagnosed, I know I spotted many things about myself when we went through his diagnosis a few years ago.

Love the comic, keep up the great work.

linimon

Post by linimon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Just a word of support for your post about Asperger's. This must have been a painful process for you to have gone through, and to have discussed in public.

As for cocktail parties, I don't think you have to have anything diagnosable to hate them, at least, I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet and I've always been miserable when in a room full of strangers. (It's a lot better if it's people I know.) And, I have always found electronic communication easier, until I get to know someone very well.

Oddly, I was first introduced to this syndrome, or whatever they call it, by a popular US TV drama. Of course, since it was TV, it was the bad guy with the syndrome, but he was a very sympathetic bad guy :-)

I hope this really doesn't get you down. In my book, it just makes you 'different'. And my country is overrun with people who want to all be the same. Booooooring!

Anyways, long-time fan, although I'm kind of sad that I finally got caught up a few weeks ago :-)

Hang in there,

Mark

DWG

Post by DWG » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Tachyon wrote: she recommends http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com as a source of info on disability rights and things
I'd also recommend doing general web searches on the neurodiversity movement and 'self narrating zoo exhibit', a metaphor that looks at the way NT people can try to disempower those on the neurodiverse spectrum (personally I think it applies to the way normies react to pretty much any disability).

For those offering prayer, I can't speak for David, but as a disability rights activist I'd prefer you to pray for understanding of disability, not a cure. I'm quite happy being disabled and so are many, many disabled people, what we want is everyone else to accept us as normal rather than try to force their conception of normality onto us.

Clockwish

Post by Clockwish » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:04 am

Asbies are the people who move technology forward, while neurotypicals like me are too busy socializing. That's a rash generalization, but not without truth.

Some Useless Geek

Post by Some Useless Geek » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:32 pm

[comment deleted]
Last edited by Some Useless Geek on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:48 pm

I see Sarah's hair has grown back - does this mean that controllers shave their heads to get a better contact through the "skillcap" they plug their head into?