Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
connectr

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by connectr » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:48 am

So very timely on the real world stage. Kari gets it right!

LeonT

Post by LeonT » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:48 am

LeonT wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 pm
I just realized yesterday that the story is feeling like it's heading for closure. Will this chapter be the end?
Seems I was right again, unfortunately.

falldowngoboom

Post by falldowngoboom » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 pm

I felt the same thing coming. I'm bummed, because I've been following this comic since the beginning, but I understand the need for a change. I'm looking forward to whatever is coming next.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Ah, that sucks. I've enjoyed CD greatly for ages.

Starpower.
Schlock Mercenary
Erfworld

It's as though the era of webcomics is closing.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:10 pm

There is a big bright nebula when looking the other way. The light coming from that would make all stars except for the brightest ones invisible.

For the same reason, you cannot see stars on photographs taken from the surface of the moon, because of the reflection of light from the lunar surface. Also you cannot see stars in the sky during daylight on earth. And even at night, when you are on a bright lit spot or in a big city you can hardly see any stars at all.
That's not how it works.
You cannot see dim stars when there is a bright object in your view. If the bright object is outside of your view and you let your eye (or camera) adjust to the darkness, you can see the stars.
You can't see photons that do not go in your direction and they have absolutely no impact on what you can and cannot see.

So, if there is a bright nebula behind my back, or if there is a star behind my back, I can still perfectly see what is in front of me.

(Bare in mind, that if you are in an atmosphere, the light bouncess off from the air molecules, making it bright everywhere, not only where the star/Sun is)

If what you describe was true, satellites that were sent to space to observe distant stars would be nearly useless, because they are in view of the Sun most of the time.

On the story - I was hoping Mr. Creed would have a more important role than just... die... His cover was not blown just yet. That felt a bit unfulfilling.

Yet, all good things must come to an end. I will miss CD.
There is still a war with the Souri Collective coming. So, perhaps, part 3 in a couple of years?

Juzbunny

Post by Juzbunny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:54 pm

Great work! I really love this latest chapter, especially the part about weaponised patriotism. Good writing!

Aegis J Hyena

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:43 am

So Creed never even got the chance to act. Feels anticlimatic in a way, I was really expecting a last ditch "Damn it! We will not be stopped!" moment.

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:48 am

Darn. Just as it gets interesting.

It was clear as day that the chapter and volume was coming to a conclusion, but the end of the comic as a whole? I hadn't expected that.

After all the Collective is still there, The planet they took is still taken hostage, the galaxy is still running out of habitable worlds and the war might be even just beginning. It's hard to believe the Hero of <one too many battles> would play no further role in this. It's hard to believe Whisper wouldn't want to know more about the collective, or the collective about her.

The end of this chapter is merely a beginning, ending the comic now is like ending lord of the rings after Saruman was defeated but Sauron still at large. Aka after book 2 of 3.

Come on, you can't let it end here. This isn't the end.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:03 am

It was getting good. But I can see how this comic takes up so much of your time. It really should be picked up by a publisher and continue.

sassafras

Post by sassafras » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:37 am

It's David's universe and his story to tell and end as he sees fit.

I want it to continue, too, but we shouldn't complain about the end of a web comic that's been running since (checks notes) 2006 !!!

I found CD from the old Whedonverse website, they noted the Firefly crew poster in Vaegyr and Larissa's quarters.

I know there have been gaps in production but David has been pretty damn dedicated to CD and its readers, he gets to end it on his terms without criticism.

Thanks David, it's been a ride.