Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
spacebender

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by spacebender » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:25 am

The scene between Whisper and Daniel took my breath away and is one of the richest, evidence of David's ongoing labour of love and artistic pioneering. Not only is it splendid visually in lighting and character rendering; it sparkles with the conflicting emotions of the dilemma Daniel is struggling with, Whisper's concern for him, and the delightful chemistry between them. Moreover, Whisper's "commentary" on the Bible was so true to her character and came from such an intent to reach out to Daniel that it brought me immediately to tears. Beautifully done!

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:More to the core of it a doctor swears an oath to "do no harm" generally.
I had forgotten that bit. Even without it, though, I do think that Daniel's response would likely be that, while some may indeed be called to fight wars, he believes his calling is to a more peaceful role of healing.
Lokekar Kra wrote:As a doctor I am a bit surprised he has not already recognized that sometime you have to do some harm to achieve a much greater good, like amputating an infected limb. In my thoughts that applies here.
To (perhaps) twist the metaphor, has 'amputating' Hal from the crew achieved a greater good?
Lokekar Kra wrote:When Hal returns it will be interesting to find out which side he will be on. I see him either seeking revenge or helping in an attempt to tell Dan he has forgiven him but will not admit such. I know not very Hal like.
I expect that the olive branch would more likely come from Daniel as an act of atonement, perhaps offering to help obtain/pay for the prosthetic leg (or even install it, given that he has had some experience with aug installation, according to his talk with Kara).
Lokekar Kra wrote:He is referring to you using "damn" specifically as it has religious connotations and originally came from condemn, I think.
Yep. I found the irony slightly intriguing, given my habit of taking profanity literally.

Incidentally, in some ways, I find the casual use of "damn" more offensive than dropping f-bombs, even though it may be the more socially acceptable of the two. Eternal condemnation is not a pretty thing.
Yet I bowdlerize the latter and not the former. Odd, that.
[/tangent?]
Some pithy statement goes here.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:22 am

Depends on how critical Hal was to the crew. He was a crack shot, so that is sore loss, but without a ship of their own they do not need his other skills right now. The current escapade also better not come to a force of arms anyway. So out of the current batch of people he is the most expendable in a sense.

I am sure Daniel would be thrilled to do something to make it up to Hal, but I do not see Hal allowing it. Too much a cynic, he and I.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

jjsavage

Post by jjsavage » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:05 am

I LOVE Dungeon Hunter HD!! It's the only game I've ever gone back through a second time with a different character class! Normally I beat a game once with a Warrior or something, then I never play it again. I'm going through again as a wizard or something now. I also recommend Pocket Legends, or I would have before they made it too hard to get past about level 10 without a friend. It's their sneaky way of making you recruit more players for them.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:25 pm

I look forward to seeing more of the inside of the Cetacea class. I'm personally more of a fan of civilian spaceships, probably due to Traveller influence.

sherinik

Post by sherinik » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:09 pm

A first!! At last a first that I've seen - a typo. Minute is misspelled.

Sorry, pedantry is a burden I bear...and try to encourage those around me to carry their share ;-)

sassafras

Pancakes...

Post by sassafras » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 am

Dear David,

I think your pancakes are too round. I've never seen pancakes that round before that didn't come out of the freezer.

However, I think your pancakes smell very nice and I'm sure they're very tasty.

Oh, and the rest of the comic, art and story, rock.

I'm just saying....

tau.ceti

Re: Pancakes...

Post by tau.ceti » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:39 am

sassafras wrote:Dear David,

I think your pancakes are too round. I've never seen pancakes that round before that didn't come out of the freezer.

However, I think your pancakes smell very nice and I'm sure they're very tasty.

Oh, and the rest of the comic, art and story, rock.

I'm just saying....
I suspect the pancake mix you may have been using in the past was a bit thick. Having recently cooked some (for my kids) with a thinner mix, and or smaller pan, they came out very round. Bit hard to flip, but very round.

excellent work and story as usual, David. You do amazing work man.

CorsairX

Post by CorsairX » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

I make my pancakes with a small pan - they be round :)

Vile

Post by Vile » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 pm

110g plain flour
2 eggs
200ml milk
75ml water
50g melted butter, cooled

Sift the flour whisk together the eggs, milk, water and butter, stir into flour until combined. Thinly coat the heated, oiled pan with batter, fry each side until golden-brown. Serve with lemon and sugar, or to taste.

Those are proper pancakes, Deliah Smith says so. If there are any raising agents involved, you're talking scotch pancakes, hotcakes or waffles (which are good in their own way). Never did manage to get them round, though.