Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CorvusCorax

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CorvusCorax » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 am

Low yield is actually very important. It tricks the targeting computer into a close range attack.

"Soft impact" tells the targeting computer the "warhead" is delicate and needs a low impact velocity to be effective.
That means whisper will move slow relative to the station.

A medium or high yield warhead would have the targeting computer take a minimum safe distance for the scimitar into account. That means usually "fire from far away at a high speed" to get the warhead in accurately, and the scimitar out of harms way.

But firing a low velocity warhead from a large distance would make it visible to sensors and have point defense cannons take whisper out. The targeting computer knows that, and - being set to "low yield" - will allow the scimitar much closer proximity to the station.

It's a simple optimization problem being solved by the computer, taken these constraints into account. It tries to minimize the chance of damage to the scimitar while maximizing the chance of "hitting the target" -- likely the amount of defensive fire and maneuverability of the target is being taken into account, too.

Would be a fun task to program that ;)

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:31 am

Aegeus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:20 am
I wonder, is Kari going to do another round of "jump the enemy ship from behind while it chases after Niobe"?
They are aware of her presence this time. So I think - no.

And Whisper... you better keep radio silence now!

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 pm

CygnusX1 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:31 am
Aegeus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:20 am
I wonder, is Kari going to do another round of "jump the enemy ship from behind while it chases after Niobe"?
They are aware of her presence this time. So I think - no.

You can say that again! Not just radio silence. They noted the markings on the exterior of Kari's fighter, so they have cameras, radar, etc. all pointed in your direction. Does your extensive suite of mods include some kind of stealthing? I sure hope so!

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 am

Can we get the Cirin Fleet as a splash page?

Also, can we get an updated ship registry?

KJ_A

Post by KJ_A » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:59 pm

A Daimyo class heavy cruiser, one Gerushda class, and a pair of Vorstok class destroyers with one Cortes class frigate. I am not sure what class the ship between the Vorstoks is. It looks similar to the Cortes class but I see what looks like a cluster of antennas on its starboard bow that the Cortes lack.

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:49 am

KJ_A wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:59 pm
A Daimyo class heavy cruiser, one Gerushda class, and a pair of Vorstok class destroyers with one Cortes class frigate. I am not sure what class the ship between the Vorstoks is. It looks similar to the Cortes class but I see what looks like a cluster of antennas on its starboard bow that the Cortes lack.
Looks to be a Cortes class ship. Which makes sense as a support vessel.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm

NefariousDrO wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 pm
CygnusX1 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:31 am
You can say that again! Not just radio silence. They noted the markings on the exterior of Kari's fighter, so they have cameras, radar, etc. all pointed in your direction. Does your extensive suite of mods include some kind of stealthing? I sure hope so!
If not, she may be taken down even by something as trivial as point-defense system against random meteoroids!

LeonT

Post by LeonT » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 pm

I just realized yesterday that the story is feeling like it's heading for closure. Will this chapter be the end?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:14 am

LeonT wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 pm
I just realized yesterday that the story is feeling like it's heading for closure. Will this chapter be the end?
Something big is coming. But even if we are heading towards the end I think it will still be 2 chapters or 3. I think we are still going to see Farheaven. Also, all Niobids are to be reunited (unless someone dies of course)