Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
bobismeisbob
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 6:53 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by bobismeisbob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:07 am

I use levity to suppress mind numbing terror
Wow she actually said that out-loud ;)

CygnusX1
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:09 am

CorvusCorax wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am
Is Whisper on the outside of that fighter because it's a one-seater? Or because she wants to jump off and infiltrate the station EVA style?

I suspect the latter. There's problem though. Ships, including this fighter, will have some sort of inertial dampeners to make high G manouvers bearable on the crew.

I doubt whispers augmentations can do that to the same degree though. Which means - for her to jump off the fighter and unto the hull of the station, the respective reference frames must be at a relative speed of less than around 10 m/s (and that's already taxing the augmentations hard) - lest she become a kinetic projectile. After all she should also be able to hold on magnetically and not bounce off like a space-pin-ball.
I think she wants to jump too.
And I have similar doubts about her landing too. But she may be able to exceed your 10m/s limit if she has some other way to dampen her hit.
Ideally, some small retro-thrusteres attached to her body would suffice, but I am not sure if she has those.
Less ideal, I don't know... maybe she can try to hit a surface that is not perpendicular to her movement vector? In presence of gravity, that would allow her to bounce a few times before coming to a stop. Without gravity that could risk her bouncing into the space instead and I am not sure that her magnetizing boots may be enough to prevent that.

Lack of pressure - that is another concern of mine. Yes, she may have some oxygen in her mask. But what about her (still-human) tissue, her blood vessels? If I am not mistaken, the pressure difference between her blood and outside may cause some serious internal bleedings.
Anyone did or saw a cupping therapy? Imagine doing that to your whole body all at once!

Aegis J Hyena
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:04 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 am

Maybe she plans to slow herself by crashing headfirst into Mr. Creed, and hopefully take his head off while she's at it. It would be an improvement for him ;)

CorvusCorax
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CorvusCorax » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 am
Maybe she plans to slow herself by crashing headfirst into Mr. Creed, and hopefully take his head off while she's at it. It would be an improvement for him ;)
It would be very surprising if Mr reed should chose this very moment to make an EVA to deal with the threat personally ;)

Fun idea though. Kinda how you would imagine a space comic boss fight with the super-villain ... exchanging punches while a space battle wages in the background ;)

And no, I don't expect that to happen. But the visuals would be rewarding ;) I guess if this was a movie directed by George Lucas, there would be a chance ;)

NefariousDrO
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by NefariousDrO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 am

What I find interesting is the report that is being submitted because I can't help but think: "If they can see the markings on the outside of the scimitar, shouldn't they also be able to see Whisper clinging to the hull? and if they do, why isn't THAT part of the information he's passing on to the station command?"
I can't help suspect that he's covering for them.

CygnusX1
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:58 am

NefariousDrO wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 am
What I find interesting is the report that is being submitted because I can't help but think: "If they can see the markings on the outside of the scimitar, shouldn't they also be able to see Whisper clinging to the hull? and if they do, why isn't THAT part of the information he's passing on to the station command?"
I can't help suspect that he's covering for them.
But he doesn't really like them after their last encounter.
At the same time you are right - if they can see the scimitar so well, they should be able to see Whisper as well.
It is confusing, but hopefully the next few pages will clear out what is going on.

In the meantime - get ready to "dance"! There is more than one turret shooting at you...

NefariousDrO
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by NefariousDrO » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:58 am
NefariousDrO wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 am
What I find interesting is the report that is being submitted because I can't help but think: "If they can see the markings on the outside of the scimitar, shouldn't they also be able to see Whisper clinging to the hull? and if they do, why isn't THAT part of the information he's passing on to the station command?"
I can't help suspect that he's covering for them.
But he doesn't really like them after their last encounter.
At the same time you are right - if they can see the scimitar so well, they should be able to see Whisper as well.
It is confusing, but hopefully the next few pages will clear out what is going on.

In the meantime - get ready to "dance"! There is more than one turret shooting at you...
I went back and re-read the previous time they met him, and I do wonder. Kari told him quite a bit of damaging things, and while he was skeptical, I get the impression he's very careful of what he accepts, and is one of those rare individuals who truly does think for himself while being responsible about due diligence in informing himself. His skepticism about Wireless Neural Interfaces has been proven to be smart, for instance. I can't help but wonder how much he's thought about the things they'd talked about, the revelations that came from Farhaven, and more. He's shared enough with his higher-ups to cover his own butt, while holding out on something critical (that he could probably convince them wasn't detected or was unreliable data) and that really makes me think there's going to be much more to his story than just a paranoid controller who knew Kari in the past.

Aegis J Hyena
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:04 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:36 am

Low Yield indeed. That's only because she looks small and insignificant on the status screens and scanners. :P

LeonT
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by LeonT » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:10 am

"Those poor bastards" :lol:

Aegeus
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:35 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Aegeus » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:20 am

I wonder, is Kari going to do another round of "jump the enemy ship from behind while it chases after Niobe"?

Post Reply