Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)

Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Postby David on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:42 pm

Well, it's time to get this ball rolling again! This is the thread to discuss the latest page as it goes online.
David
Site Admin

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Postby Dhraakellian on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:35 pm

I see the big, mysterious hulk in the Katsulas expanse has a name now.
Some pithy statement goes here.
Dhraakellian

Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Postby cbhacking on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:31 pm

I love these "filler" pages. It's also great to see some of your art again, after last week. I loved the speed of the story (might have spoiled me a bit) but it's great to see your art again, or some of what goes into making it.

The shuttle design is great, by the way. Can't really see much of the Bridger but it certainly has "big, dark, and scary" down. I can't wait to see the return of full-page art, but sometimes these pages really help the details stand out.
cbhacking

Postby \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:11 am

Hey Dave!

With these filler pages, do you think you should do a huge CRIMSON DARK UNIVERSE comparison to the Star Wars and Star Trek (and any others you like) universes?

It seems like it would be a great way to show what the techknowlegy from the CDU is capable of compared to the stuff from the more familiar things we're more familiar with. ^_^

For instance, how would the Niobe match up with the Millenium Falcon and the Slave 1? :D
\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Postby bdares on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:28 am

Probably should be in another thread, but I'd guess that as Crimson Dark technology doesn't seem to include any sort of force shield type of thing, almost any fighting vessel from a universe that does would win.
bdares

Postby madscott on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:46 am

bdares wrote:Probably should be in another thread, but I'd guess that as Crimson Dark technology doesn't seem to include any sort of force shield type of thing, almost any fighting vessel from a universe that does would win.

I always thought that not having a shield made for a great story development. You just lost the last half of the ship.. now what?!?
madscott

Postby Lokekar Kra on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:30 am

So what happens if offensive tech made shields obsolete in CD universe, much like long bows and muskets made plate armor obsolete?
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost
Lokekar Kra

Postby NeoNizer on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 am

Well, the whole point of shield technology is to ward off offensive weapons.
Depending on the universe and effectiveness, the weapons could be warded off or not.
<insert technological debate of Star Trek vs Star Wars vs Crimson Dark. I don't really want to go there..>

So far, I like the realism of CD and especially the style, and wish I could pull it off myself.
But if I ever do launch something starship related, I tend to like shields -because- it prevents loss of ship.
Hence, if the shields -are- breached, you're in serious trouble.
(which is usually the case in ST, because those ships, armored or not, are not that strong without shields, which I like.)

I think you're doing an interesting job of this universe, David,
and given you're pumping out pages and I actually -forgot-, I only checked every monday like I used to.
I do like the story progression and whisper is probably my favorite char.
I'm not -too- surprised by no one leaving the Niobe, keeping the old crew together and familiar.
After the expanse arc, I'm looking forward to what ever action is gonna happen. I very much like the boom boom like you do.

Good luck with everythng, and see you around, David!
NeoNizer

Postby sowellca on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:19 am

I really liked the "journal" sections. it revealed a lot of the characters and their thoughts and feelings in a short space. Love the art throughout the comic. Wonderful stuff David. Please keep it up and thank you.
sowellca

Postby bdares on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:41 pm

My impression so far is that the technology in Crimson Dark is very similar to that of the Battlestar Galactica TV show: the only really new thing that they have that we don't already is the warp drive. We already have rail guns and can probably make a plasma launcher if we really wanted to, we have (way too bulky) laser guns, still need gas thrusters for turning a fighter around, we're already implanting embedded computers inside people's skulls and chests, etc.
bdares

Next

Return to Crimson Dark Discussion