Lego Taratane

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Mainman

Lego Taratane

Post by Mainman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:18 pm

David, when you posted about all your troubles a couple weeks ago, I set to working on this. I figured I may not be able to say anything you'd find particularly helpful, but perhaps I could at least show you that your work does indeed inspire people. The Taratane is one of my favorite of your designs, and this is something I've been kicking around in my head for a little while. I didn't stick 100% to your design, so some of the angles and proportions are definitely different, and I gave mine its own name. Still, I am pretty happy with the likeness.

The pictures are available on Flickr or Brickshelf (once the gallery is moderated)

Oh, and don't worry, David; the Durandal is underway. It's at a larger scale, though, and is progressing slowly, but I think it's going to turn out very nice. :)
*Enjoy the Sauce!*

David
Site Admin

Re: Lego Taratane

Post by David » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Wow, very nice work indeed! I can't wait to see the Durandal :shock:

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Wholly Frack! I've been upstaged!

Good job, sir!

One of these days, when I suddenly get a lot of money (and the willingness to spend it frivolously), I'm going to have to seriously expand my Lego collection.

Could we see some closeups of the Scimitars so that I can compare them to my own model?

Edit: looking more closely, I see that the scale difference might make comparisons a little less valid, but I'd still be interested in seeing details.
Last edited by Dhraakellian on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some pithy statement goes here.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:43 pm

that is, in the words of a song somewhere, WAY COOL!

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:15 pm

That is a very very super groovey Lego CD space ship!!

Kudos! And Kudos again!

Tentus

Post by Tentus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:11 pm

That is unbelievably sweet. I salute you good sirs, both the lego artist and the original artist.

Mainman

Post by Mainman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks folks! Dhraakellian, there's a large and active online community ready to receive you if ever you want to join us. Be warned, though: the brick is an addictive drug. :twisted:

Here's the little Scimitar:

And a shot of the guts. I took this while she was still under construction, so some of the cosmetic details changed a little, but not much.
The frame isn't the strongest ever, and it shows, but it does the trick. When not posing for pictures I add a little support under the stabilizer to limit the stress on the parts.

I'm glad you guys like it. It's been getting a nice response among the Lego fan community too, and it's my hope that it results in a few more regular viewers to CD.
*Enjoy the Sauce!*

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:38 pm

I will do my best to not drool! *wink* It is very well done, and I nearly want to throw down a gauntlet and build a K'nex version now. I got annoyed with being always building with tiny parts with Legos so happily moved onto K'nex back when they were new to the scene.

I greatly appreciate the interior shot, I had wondered how you built the different planes into the structure, but I guess legos have come a long ways in 20 years.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

neutral stalker

Post by neutral stalker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:39 am

nice. this gives me ideas...grand scale ideas...the kind that takes up your whole desk with varying densities of clutter.
as one artist to another, awesome job on the model, and...sorry forgot what was going here next.
Last edited by neutral stalker on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the greater good.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Mainman wrote:Thanks folks! Dhraakellian, there's a large and active online community ready to receive you if ever you want to join us. Be warned, though: the brick is an addictive drug. :twisted:
Heh.

I tinker around a little bit, but as I said, my collection is rather small, so I end up having to dismantle stuff to make use of what little I have.

Also, I tend to work on a much smaller scale. One flat piece tends to be anywhere from half a deck to three decks thick.

I should really make some photographic evidence of what I have so that I can go ahead and disassemble it.

Do you know how well stuff like mlcad and ldraw works for documenting one's lego work?
Some pithy statement goes here.