Make money from Crimson Dark - Suggestions

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Lokekar Kra

Re: Make money from Crimson Dark - Suggestions

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 am

There currently is not an option to subscribe for a year at a time? I kinda wondered since it looks like you can pay from $10 to $50 per month depending on your generosity. So I do not forget them I like making my bills yearly if at all possible. Is that an option?
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:52 am

I had considered some kind of annual sunscription, but thought it might be problematic. This isn't like a magazine or MMORPG where lots of people are working towards a common goal, this is just me. If something were to happen to me next week, your annual subscription would become worthless.

Mainman

Post by Mainman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:14 pm

You mean if you die next week, I don't get a pro-rated refund on my month's subscription? ;)

I've seen Matt Forcum offers his original artwork for sale. Obviously, that would translate differently to a fully digital medium like yours. Depending on your willingness to release such to the general public, you could offer the 3-D model files of your ships. I'm not sure what the market would be for that, but perhaps something to consider.

One comic that I know does lots of promotions is Austin May's Air Force Blues. Admittedly, he has the advantage of having a specialized, but very large fanbase, with a wide range of inside jokes built into that fanbase. In addition to bonus comic sets that, like your proposal, enhance the character but are not necessary to the story, he has also hosted some very successful charities. His recent Christmas charity offered a significant piece of custom memorabilia (a professionally customized F-15 model, I think) for the person who donated the most, plus more minor merchandise and comics for other significant donations. I have no idea the size of CD's fanbase, but often charities make people a little more willing to donate. You could do an occasional half-and-half charity (i.e. half the proceeds go to you, half to the Red Cross) or something along those lines. It might be worth perusing Austin's site for ideas (or contacting him, for that matter).

Finally, is it possible to host, say, an Amazon advertisement for a specific product? I'm thinking the Firefly DVD set would be fitting, and hopefully not too distracting from your web site.
*Enjoy the Sauce!*

wildthayne

Post by wildthayne » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:47 pm

I love all the ideas. For what it's worth, I'll try to do some promo on boardgamegeek.com. David, may I add the CD logo to the BoardGameGeek microbadge (mini-avatar) list? The other microbadges they have under webcomics are here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadges/group/75

Anis

Post by Anis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 am

I love the idea of buying printed comics of CD and I'd definitely pay for one, even if it's the same as what's online already. There's something special about having something tangible to look at, rather than pixels on the screen.

If you're looking for another idea how about a contribution incentive? You get in a certain amount in a month and for the following month you provide extra comics - http://www.namirdeiter.com does this and regularly gets about US$500 a month in donations. The extra comics wouldn't have to be story pages, they could be the kind of things you've been posting as fillers - early designs, props, more information on ships, etc.
Read the about the adventures of the crew of the Martian Freighter Crazy Horse in my seriel novel Alive!

WarPlayer

Post by WarPlayer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Perhaps you could sell signed art like detailed ship plans, or the crew gathered together for dinner (ala Firefly). A nice size print suitable to hang on the wall would be nice. Not as nice as a printed comic or graphic novel (hint)... but nice.

Anyway, I wish you well. I enjoy the story you are telling with Crimson Dark.

Vile

Post by Vile » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:02 am

You should talk to the gang at Spica about turning Crimson Dark into a licensed Traveller roleplaying game. Or you should get me to talk to them so you have more time to work on the next issue.*

The money won't be amazing, but hey, it'll be almost no work. Except proof-reading manuscripts, but I hear you've already got a proof-reader ... ;)

*So, I had a slow weekend, what with the spouse being in Korea. I started on page 1 on a few days back and I'm waiting for the next update now.

genejoke

Post by genejoke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:21 am

There are ways of getting comics in print at little cost

ka blam
comixpress

pretty sure there are others

whitelaughter

Post by whitelaughter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 am

well, the more publicity the better: Is there a way of linking Crimson Dark to my Facebook page (sorry if this is incredibly simple/stupid, I'm a bit of a Luddite, I just know that it's possible since other sites do this).

charles

Post by charles » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 am

Revisiting an old topic, I know, but I've been reading some great stuff for publishing/printing graphic novels or comics at the reMIND site.

The creator, Jason, puts together some good arguments and strategy for publishing and selling through Amazon: http://www.remindblog.com/2011/02/03/ho ... on-amazon/

Then links a heap of great vids on publishing graphic novels in general: http://www.remindblog.com/2011/02/08/se ... -8-videos/

I noted one in particular which recommends you print books over 96 pages, so that it has a spine, but preferably less than 200 or 300. If I had to pick a range, I'd say Prelogue to the end of Chapter 4 for Book1 and Chapter 5 to the end of Chapter 8 for Book2.

Obviously you've got the whole introduction through Book1, recruiting Kari and then sending the crew out to do their regular privateering duty. Chapter 4 ends on a good and decent battle with a pause in the flow as they move onto the next storyline resulting from the actions they've just made. Without bonus material you get about 155 pages.

Chapter 5 actually does a decent job of reintroducing the characters to a certain extent and we even get a quick recap on the events of the previous chapter with Sapphira watching the video material and discussion surrounding it. We hear bits about all of them and it sets up the story arc involving Vaegyr's sister, flowing to Vaegyr's decision to find her and resolving with her discovery in chapter 8. We end with another good space battle and Niobe shot to hell with the impending tribunal coming up. You get about 147 pages without bonus material.

Chapter 9 does another decent job of reintroducing the characters and lightly recapping on the previous chapter, as is always good for a new book, and the next storyline which begins with Vaegyr going to gaol and the Niobids deciding to crack him out. We end the longer storyline involving Mensk's hunt for them and are no-doubt leading towards Vaegyr's freedom, likely in the next chapter which will probably lead nicely into the next storyline for another book. You're up to about 104 pages for book3 so far, without bonus material.

Effectively you've got three potential books which actually stand alone with relative ease thanks to slight, re-introductions to the crew and a new, overarching, storyline which links the various chapters and is resolved inside them alone.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56