Niobe ship layout

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Shagrat

Niobe ship layout

Post by Shagrat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm new to Crimson, started at the begining and have only got to page 28, but there seems to be a glaring -and so far correctable - fault in the internal layout of Niobe:
In the ship diagram, the dining room is inboard in the starboard hull and next to a canon turret on the portside hull. It is also separated from the kitchen by the entire length of the crew quarters section. Have you ever seen any real [wet] ship, mobile home, house, hotel, train, or fortress where the kitchen is far from the dining area? [Except Montecello]
Also, for very practical military reasons a gun turret must be mounted above all obstructions yet the view out the dining room window on p.28 is wide open - no turret.
There seems to me to be one easy fix for both: Move the diagrammed location of the dinning room to the outboard of the starboard hull, across the corridor from the kitchen and just forward of the lounge. The dinning room view is unobstructed and the scene on p.28 works with the [new] supposed layout of the ship [nobody seems to care much if the kitchen staff get a view] and both gun turrets can be mounted high enough for clear shooting.

:idea: Hmm - what about a belly gun? Do all threats promise to come from 'above' ?

Enough carping. I'm going back to read some more. This seems to be as close as we're going to get to a Serenity Trilogy :cry:

Lokekar Kra

Re: Niobe ship layout

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:10 pm

While you are correct the flaws also reflect the origin of Niobe. It was originally designed as a yacht of sorts and was later converted into a privateer. The placement of turrets at teh time of conversion might habe been restricted due to power contraints or structural design. It is also notable that Vaeyger is both the Captain and the Cook. So a good view out of the kitchen might be a higher priorrity, or
not.

Welcome to the comic and the forum, and in the future of the story... I think I will not spoil anything. One great thing is that David likes to explain things in his bonus pages and that you tell by them and the comic itself that he is improving both in technical and story telling abilities.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

NefariousDrO

Re: Niobe ship layout

Post by NefariousDrO » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 am

I couldn't agree with that last part more! His extras detailing how he designed the Scarborough is incredible, and worthy of the kind of product-design one would expect to see with a major manufacturing company when they're working on a new car, for instance. I suspect a good deal of that is probably tied to his theatrical background: he's carefully designing his sets for each scene.