Official "Discuss the latest news" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
SciFiGuy

Re: Official "Discuss the latest news" thread

Post by SciFiGuy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm

I read today that the morgues in Adelaide are full - "Please - no one else die from heat stroke until we bury the current lot"

it's hot.

like, really hot.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Looks like we're going to be copping a taste of Adelaide/Melbourne's troubles here in Western Sydney. The 4 day forecast for Penrith: 40, 34, 42, 44 C

(that's 104, 93, 107, 111 F)

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:55 pm

<EDIT>

or as will probably really happen,

<DELETE TASTELESS COMMENT>

Hope your trains keep on running, ours failed at 35 degrees, just as they were designed to.
Last edited by skythorn on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:39 pm

skythorn wrote:Hope your trains keep on running, ours failed at 35 degrees, just as they were designed to.
Pfft, we've had dozens of days where the max ranged from 35-38 out here - in fact that's a fairly typical Summer day in Penrith. I guess our rail lines are made of stronger stuff :P

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:21 pm

ouch - worst fire day in history - keep reading bad stuff about it ..erk!

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:33 pm

skythorn wrote:ouch - worst fire day in history - keep reading bad stuff about it ..erk!
I'll be speaking about the fires in my rant with today's page.

charles

Post by charles » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Plague, Cyclone, Tsunami and probably Earthquake just to add insult to injury.

Kiwi comic, but I think it says it fairly well for our beloved Australia. Thank God I live in Brisbane.

To give you guys an idea of exactly what it means to call this the worst fires in Australia's history. Australia is a country who's bush and wildlife are designed for fire. The Aboriginals used to set fire to the land once a year for over 50,000 years. The Gum tree that we're so famous for is full of oils that burn easily and enough of it's leaf litter on the ground will explode as well as any bucket of gasoline you throw onto a fire.

I know that many other countries have had horrible fires and all, but believe me when I tell you that Australia calling this it's worst fire in history is VERY significant. I think the worst one before this was only 8 years ago, in the blue mountains not far from where David lives.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

SciFiGuy

Post by SciFiGuy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 pm

With entire TOWNS burned off the map - literally - this is some serious fire we're having right now.

It was 47C the other day in Melbourne - that's (about) 117F. No heat index. No humidity modifiers. Just a basic 47C.
According to the metric scale, that's almost half-way between freezing and boiling water.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:33 pm

SciFiGuy wrote:With entire TOWNS burned off the map - literally - this is some serious fire we're having right now.

It was 47C the other day in Melbourne - that's (about) 117F. No heat index. No humidity modifiers. Just a basic 47C.
According to the metric scale, that's almost half-way between freezing and boiling water.
Speaking of heat, there's a photo on the ABC site which shows metal melted by the heat of the fire. Sadly I can't finda way to link straight to the photo, so you'll have to browse for it:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/bushfires/

Hypothetical

Post by Hypothetical » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Just wanted to wish you a hearty " Get better Soon".

Having had 2 of my Wisdom teeth pulled I can tell you it's no picnic, especially on top of everything else. But, you'll get some good drugs.

They are going to tell you, don't suck on anything. Listen to them.

When I had my first one pulled, I made the mistake of going and getting a Milkshake to ease the pain. Sucked the clot right out of the hole, and ended up with Dry Socket. It's not dangerous, but it HURTS. As in, on a scale of 1-10, an 8.7.

I just found this Webbie this morning, and finished reading the archives about an hour ago ( signed up for the forum, saw the Fav Sci-Fi thread, couldn't resist going there).
If life were a wheel, I would be stuck under it.

Crimson Dark...#1 Sci-Fi Webcomic.