Miniatures combat

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Morchaint

Re: Miniatures combat

Post by Morchaint » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:10 am

sign me up.
~Morchaint.:geek:

Eat Dessert first, Life is uncertain.
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, and you can't Prove anything! :P

Froggy the Great

Post by Froggy the Great » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:21 am

Not for ship-to-shop combat, but if anyone is looking for a skirmish-level (the size of Niobe's crew) engagement, I highly recommend "Fantastic Worlds" by Marc Anderson. It's written for space-pulp, but looks fairly trivial to tweak up to CD's tech level.

I play this game all the time.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/Bullpen/?page_id=22

AaronLee

Post by AaronLee » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:16 am

Has anyone considered Voidstriker?

In summary; it's a 2d newtonian model hex game with support for gravity wells (though not so important here.) It also has some very in-depth shipbuilding rules that make crafting new content simple. I've been pining to develop my own HSF Voidstriker setting, but I think it could work for CD pretty well, too. It's also got support for fighters and extremely variable engagement sizes.

The demo's up on the site for anyone who wants to fob about with the system.

It's a bit more fanciful than AVT, but only in setting, and it could save CD from a leap to 3d (though I've been interested myself.)

Sergeant_Crunch

Post by Sergeant_Crunch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:16 am

I'd use Starmada, it's a flexible system and has some extensive design rules.

mangaka2170

Post by mangaka2170 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:55 am

The vehicle combat rules for the Silhouette RP system were designed to be usable as a separate wargaming system, and I've found the space combat rules to be elegant enough. One nice thing about that system is that you can factor crew skill into your vehicle cost (the vehicle design system is also robust to say the least).

However, if you don't mind a long and detailed space combat game, Babylon 5 Wars might prove to be worth looking into. Granted, fighters tend to operate in squadrons and you'd only ever want to play large games with allies due to the bookkeeping involved but the detail goes down to individual sections and systems of the ship taking damage (under no circumstances do you want to lose the central structure of your ship as it will be destroyed, and the only way that happens is if you lose an adjacent section first).

Just thought I'd throw a couple more systems out there.
Avid reader of CD since 2007

Creator, writer, penciler, inker, colorist, letterer, editor and publisher of Frontier: 2170 (63 pages and counting! ;D)

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:31 am

Please keep in mind, as you read what I'm about to post, that I have NO IDEA about computers and programing, especially programing, even though I'm a 2D (hand drawn) animator with little idea of CG animation: (this might be a stupid question)

Would it be that hard and time consuming to create a mini Crimson Dark version of EVE Online? :?: :oops:
I'd sign up for that! :)

mangaka2170

Post by mangaka2170 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:20 am

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with EVE Online. I really didn't like the control interface since there was no manual control option (which I prefer over an autopilot) and the weapons controls, in my opinion, were poorly designed. The two combined to make combat a real hassle and even setting a course to be more trouble than it was worth.

I know it would be possible to do a CD total conversion plug for EV Nova (I used to make similar plugins to the original Escape Velocity in my spare time as a kid), but that would probably require more information about the plot and setting than Mr. Simon might be willing to divulge. The ship spins wouldn't be so hard to do if the person writing the plug had access to the 3D ship models, but writing the plug would be rather time consuming. Another option would be a CD mod for Homeworld 2 (apparently someone did a fabulous Babylon 5 mod), but I wouldn't know how to do that.

However, this thread is about miniatures combat games, not computer gaming. I personally would like to remain on topic, if people don't mind.

Creator, writer, penciler, inker, colorist, letterer, editor and publisher of Frontier: 2170 (63 pages and counting! ;D)

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:26 am

mangaka2170 wrote:I know it would be possible to do a CD total conversion plug for EV Nova (I used to make similar plugins to the original Escape Velocity in my spare time as a kid), but that would probably require more information about the plot and setting than Mr. Simon might be willing to divulge. The ship spins wouldn't be so hard to do if the person writing the plug had access to the 3D ship models, but writing the plug would be rather time consuming. Another option would be a CD mod for Homeworld 2 (apparently someone did a fabulous Babylon 5 mod), but I wouldn't know how to do that.
I actually started work on a CD conversion for EV Nova a few years ago, but stopped when I saw the vast amount of time and effort it would require. I even rendered out spins for more than a dozen ships, including mattes and engine glows.

mangaka2170

Post by mangaka2170 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Awesome. Nice to see another Nova player on the forum (Mr. Simon himself, no less!).

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Sorry for getting off topic fellas! :D

I think a minutre CD game would ge great to have and it would be piles of fun to come here and play it with everyone; I don't much about those kinds of games but I'd learn! :D